DAW software for a beginner

Forums for Windows PC computers
Keys49

DAW software for a beginner

Post by Keys49 »

I posted before awhile back and still reading up on some.

Ableton Live LE, Mackie Tracktion 3, Magix, Sony Soundforge and Sony Music Studio. I am looking for the beginner, something pretty darn easy like garage band (but I have Windows/Vista) in the $100 range give or take some.

Any info on this would be helpful.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: DAW software for a beginner

Post by Artemiy »

There is Sequel by Steinberg, check it out, it's somewhat like GarageBand.

But anyway, why not switch to a Mac then? You probably know all the benefits already (ease of use, stability, technologies etc.), and GarageBand is indeed a marvelous piece of software, now with 24-bit support, almost unlimited tracks and about 6 effects per track, loads of built-in instruments. Note though, GarageBand doesn't support MIDI to external gear, unless it has it's own virtual instrument representation like SH-201 and Fantom-G. Logic Express is $199 by the way, and does a real lot.
Keys49

Post by Keys49 »

Thanks Artemiy

I have looked at that also. I am not sure if my specs are enough. I would have to look into it more. my next pc might be a Mac, but I have to wait.

Sony's Home Studio, looks easy, but I would like mastering capabilities as well, not sure if it has it or not. Sony's Soundforge does it looks like.

I don't think I will record much with the software, just using the keyboard for that, but I would like to edit samples, place songs on the (software studio) and mix in effects an samples to make the song better, then Master it. That is what I am looking to do at least if I can.
Keys49

Post by Keys49 »

well I am trying some demo versions. Tracktion 3 froze up a few times and it doesn't actually seem to be user friendly from what I see of it. It seems unstable however on my machine.

Sony's acid home studio is okay at this point. But Magix music Maker 12 (since I was already familar with it) is pretty darn easy to use. I understood this from before, it only takes a quick look on it and within 5 mins or 10 mins you have it figured out.

still will look for more, but Magix seems easy for me.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

If you bought any Roland gear lately- you may have got Sonar LE- it is a great tool that will definately give a beginner more than enough power to write music. Or, pickup up a Sonic Cell and you get it with it (plus a great sounding Rompler to boot- especially when you load Art's Planet patches for the Sonic Cell!!!!)
Keys49

Post by Keys49 »

I haven't. I have had the Fantom X for a few years.

Is Sonar LE real user friendly and easy to use?
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Yeah, it is simple (but I am used to Cakewalk products)
kongwee

Post by kongwee »

I find that Sonar have to many icon. Sometime get confuse by it.
Keys49

Post by Keys49 »

I tried Cakewalk music creator and I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. However, Cakewalks Kinetic I found easy and understood it, but that is only for dance beats really.
jessej

Post by jessej »

I've made music for 25 years and professionally since 2000. After a lot of consideration and thought - For my home production studio recently I chose:

Apple Macbook + Apple Logic Express

I also recommended this setup for many of my students who are beginners/intermediate. Easy setup and easy maintenance, just concentrate on the music itself.

Ableton Live 5 is also something to consider if for performing live.

- jesse -