Audio Tracks: PC vs. keyboard

Forums for Windows PC computers
Patrick_

Audio Tracks: PC vs. keyboard

Post by Patrick_ »

I've been researching audio interfaces for PC and I'm concerned about the issue of latency. I haven't bought an interface yet, but I've been doing alot of brainstorming, and one of the things I've been wondering about is if it wouldn't be possible to transfer the audio tracks within my Fantom X6 to Cakewalk Sonar for further editing. I haven't bought Cakewalk Sonar(or the interface) yet, which is why I'm asking this question.
It seems that alot of people have problems with the audio in their software program running out of synch, hence the latency, but I have this dream where I am able to put audio tracks(with effects) into my Fantom X6 through SPDIF with my Roland VS880, and then transfer the individual audio tracks to Sonar for further editing. Or any combination of the above. (Fantom to VS to Sonar, for example).

Experimenting with this could cost me a grand. That's why I'm researching and looking for advice/voices of experience. I'm not spending that kind of money on the wrong thing.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to use Sonar to edit audio tracks produced by both the VS and the X6, then possibly put the audio tracks back into either one for further modification. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Logically, I'm thinking that the only thing I'd be able to edit in Sonar from the Fantom's audio tracks would be a stereo mix. If so, that would not justify the expense, and I'd have to go back to the drawing board.
curston

Re: Audio Tracks: PC vs. keyboard

Post by curston »

Hi
You are not clear with your thoughts, will you give more information. So I can help you out in this matter.
Patrick_

Post by Patrick_ »

Question: Can you transfer the TRACKS within the Fantom to a PC based DAW for further editing.

I know you can mixdown to stereo, but I'm talking about the multitrack audio BEFORE mixdown.

In other words, I would like to tweak both the MIDI and the audio using PC programs. If I create a song within the Fantom(multitrack), is it possible to copy the complete multitracked song into the DAW for further editing.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Sorry. I have no idea what in the @#%! I'm talking about. And Artemio -- please -- leave my comments IN the trash this time...

:)

- Sammy
rogerp1

Post by rogerp1 »

You can do this with Sonar.

You can either just take the samples off the card and place them on a track in Sonar so they match your Fantom Audio tracks. Or you can mute the midi and mixdown each of your audio tracks and then transfer the sample to Sonar. Depends how much you have going on with each audio track. This makes the wav files bigger but it saves working out where to place samples in sonar as everything starts from the same place.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sammy, you need to get married ASAP ;-)
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Artemiy:

I'm actually kind of sad, because in fact, I had a beautiful woman once who I thought that I would marry. She left me about ten years ago, and my world turned upside-down. I have been counseled by all of my friends and family, and they all have encouraging words. Maybe soon I will meet my love, but until then I will I'm sure display these bouts of weirdness.

Anyway, thanks for the idea. I will certainly give it another try. And don't worry -- I know that you were being funny, and I'm not taking it to heart. I'm simply stating that, in fact, your humor is spot-on.

- Sammy

P.S. Oh, and in an effort to remain on-topic, I was actually saying in the message that I edited that I thought that this was possible. I just wasn't sure, and I felt like I was shooting in the dark. I'm pretty impressed with Roland stuff overall, and this is why I hope that eventually, they will release some VSTi synths. I think that it is about time that they do this. That way, folks like me could enjoy playing bona-fide Roland sounds.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sammy, the problem with 99% of people is they think too much (whether we're talking about getting married or choosing a studio setup). You gotta do what your heart says man ;-)
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Artemiy:

Yes -- and my heart says "woman" -- not "man."

:)

- Sammy

P.S. And although I know what you mean, I would like to disagree somewhat (no, you're kidding Sammy! Disagree with Artemiy on something...?! You aren't much of a "yes" man are you Sammy...?!)

What I disagree with is the "thinking" part. Most people DON'T think, and thisi s what causes the trouble. Seriously -- think about it! (No, really... think...) If people didn't "trust their hearts" when choosing a mate (OR a studio setup) then we would have fewer divorces and fewer instruments being hurled through perfectly-good plate glass windows. Believe me -- I know. I've hefted my share of plastic-and-metal things with piano-style keyboards across meters of space, only to watch in utter contempt as liquid-crystal and bakelite goes flying. Brick is unforgiving -- and so are women. Or something like that. Actually, it is time for my pills... damn! I already took them. Oh, that's right -- I'm just CRAZY...