What kind of computer power is required for a small personal

Forums for Windows PC computers
Darmani2

What kind of computer power is required for a small personal

Post by Darmani2 »

I'm talking very small. I'll be the only one using it and it's only going to be used for my keyboard, acoustic/electric guitar, and vocals. I plan to use ableton live and/or apple's pro logic. I was thinking a macbook pro would do the trick quite nicely but I'm not sure about the configurations.. necessary ram etc. It's going to be for an electronic music project
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: What kind of computer power is required for a small pers

Post by Artemiy »

I am using a 1.83 GHz CoreDuo iMac with 2 GB RAM and, originally, a 250 GB HDD (now upgraded it to 500 GB). For me, it is sufficient enough to run as many softsynth and audio tracks as I need, along with some effect plug-ins. Macs are quite efficient at this task.

I think the 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro will be enough for you, but get it with 4 GB RAM if you can, and a 250+ GB internal drive (I am still not a fan of external hard drives for storing the music project files). Note that you can (and should!) buy the RAM separately from eBay or another store, because from official Apple stores it's vastly overpriced.
Stu_Art

Post by Stu_Art »

From a PC perspective...if you were considering this route..

RAM seems to be king in the PC department ...as much as you can get (as this is where all the 'action' takes place for the computer), closely followed by speed of the CPU..and duel core is getting to be a minimum.

Get as high spec as you can afford now, in these two areas, as it will hopefully be longer before it potentially limits your creativity work flow, when you start adding more to your studio toys...particularly software ...lots out there to process guitars and vocals.

Try also not to run anything else when its your music session ..no internet, updating, etc...all these things eat up RAM.

For running bigger/many plugins you will need as much of ram and speed as you can get as things like Omnisphere eat it up very quickly.

Initial Hard disk space is less important, as you can get very large and quick drives to plug in via USBs (I picked up a 500 GB drive for £50 from Amazon recently....probably this time next year and you'll get double that for your money.)

Agree with Artemiy too, shop around on places like eBay and Amazon and other sites to get the most bang for your buck! ..er..pound....euro...etc...

Hope that helps in some way
Stu ;oD
Septimo

The Mac Experience

Post by Septimo »

secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

Hi Darmani2!
What kind of computer power is required for a small personal home studio?

I see that you are from Canada, so . . . I would say 120 volt 60 Hz. aughta' do it!

Darmani2

Post by Darmani2 »

Thank you to everyone :D Big help :)
Patrick_

Post by Patrick_ »

I have a 2.1 Ghz processor but it is not dual core. It's Celeron. What is the advantage to a dual core processor?(as opposed to what I have).
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The advantage of two or more cores is in that your processor can do more things simultaneously. It's almost like having two separate computers: one core can be encoding a video or a set of MP3 files, and the other one allows you to play a game, and there is no interruption between these processes on hardware level.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I understand that the memory and disk IO are still shared so while it is like having two computers at the processor level we still have single bottlenecks for all the other important processes.

Also, the user needs to ensure that the programs they have really take advantage of advantage the dual core system. A lot of people assume the operating system will take care of all of the resource management but I think you need to ensure that your application software is also dual processor aware.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

This is no lie...

I have a Pentim 3 700 that kicks but with up to 64 tracks of audio with FX...

Of course I also have 10 mini processors in the form of two Yamaha DSP Factories! ;-)

Just a note...It is not always just the computer.

I wish Yamaha would have kept up the DSP Factory platform, but way, way too much Techical assistance required to make dough...It took me an entire year to get comfortable with it.
WD

Post by WD »

What budget do you have in mind for the small personal home studio?
The computer is just one piece of the pie. If you want to make an electronic music project (or any other music project), you need to have all pieces together working as one (personal home studio). Otherwise you’ll not be able to pull that off.
The best and most expensive computer will do nothing good to you, if you’ll use a crappy mic for your vocals, or cheap speakers for your mixes. The opposite is also true.
My advice would be: make a complete equipment list – set reasonable for you amount of total money that you could spend on the studio for the nearest three years (at least) and the price and power required for the computer will be crystal clear to you. :)