PC interfaces and DAWs, etc.

Forums for Windows PC computers
Patrick_

PC interfaces and DAWs, etc.

Post by Patrick_ »

Okay I bought an EMU 1616m to connect my Fantom X6, Roland VS880 and other stuff to my PC. Everything works and I have no problems yet, but I am wondering about SPDIF cables. I bought 2 short cables(I'm not home--don't remember how long they are), and already had one 3 ft long. The two short ones are MONSTER cables, and the long one is a HOSA cable. Both digital, SPDIF, etc, etc.

The dealer I bought them from doesn't recommend using the long cable but I have been using it to connect the digital out of my VS880 to the digital in of my Fantom X6 and have had absolutely no problem with it.

Also, as long as I'm here, I have been using Sonar LE which came bundled with the Emu. I have used Cakewalk Home Studio 7 and 9 but this is the first Sonar product I've used. Being that I'm probably going to upgrade to Sonar 8 Producer edition(and from LE, that's a big jump) by Spring of next year, I'm wondering if

1- anybody has any experience with Sonar LE
2- How vast a gulf there is between Sonar LE and 8 Producer.

Also, there are "LITE" versions of Ableton and Cubase and some other stuff that came with the unit, and I'm not a strict loyalist to any company, so anybody using other DAWs beside Sonar, what do you use and why do you like it? A DAW in the $500 range is not a casual purchase, so I'd appreciate any feedback at all.

Also, any websites specifically dealing with "tips and tricks" for using Cakewalk/Cubase/Ableton LE versions? I can't find any. Yet.
Patrick_

Re: PC interfaces and DAWs, etc.

Post by Patrick_ »

I'll name my next housepet after the person who answers this question.
Patrick_

Post by Patrick_ »

I will give my next housepet to the person who answers this question.
ziggy73

Post by ziggy73 »

Actually i recently bought a Tascam FireOne with the

Ableton Live Lite bundled, and i'm getting info from the Ableton website, it has a lot of videos and tips&tricks, and a community forum...

As you i'm just starting out... but i just found out that unfortunately Live Lite seems to be rather limited - 4 audio tracks, 4 midi tracks - i just read this, i'm checking it tomorrow - i'm sleepy and grouchy - hey, i'm two of Snowhite's dwarfs!

Anyway, hope this helps you to go in the right direction!
dasinsasion

Post by dasinsasion »

There was a lot of information in the post so I will condense it and try to help. I use Cubase 4. I use Cubase because I like its interface and features, the plug-ins that come with it are above average and useful (reverb and dynamic effects). The flexibility of unlimited tracks and you can use it with any interface. I know it (the program), as I have used Cubase for 8 years or more. It's really all in what you are gonna be doing with the DAW and your personal preference.
Pro Tools is the my least favorite DAW but I always keep accessibility to it with my MBOX because 9/10 any serious studio will have some form of it, so I use it for compatibility reasons. To me from Pro Tools to Cubase (and vice versa) is a easy transition, just use Broadcast wave files and everything is compatible. I am not too familiar with Sonar but the studio I "just" started working at has it so I am learning more and more about it each day, seems like a nice program and Roland owns it so if its anything like the Fantom its very nice.
Nik_

Post by Nik_ »

Three fett is no problem for an SDIF cable. My longest in use is 5m, unbranded, and gives no problems. The brand really makes no difference. Monster are way overpriced.

And I only want your house pet if it is something my Greyhound can chase down and eat.