Help Me Build Daw System

Forums for Windows PC computers
RobertFremont

Help Me Build Daw System

Post by RobertFremont »

Are there any computer buffs around here that can help tweak my system build for my DAW setup? I using cubase+HALion symphonic orchestra+synthology ivory with a yamaha rx8. I am sure my funds are not properly allocated amongst the different components as I have limited knowledge of computers.I also think the cpu and mobo might be junk. I would however like to keep it in the 500$ range if possible but going over budget could be alright if it provides a good boost in performance.

Mobo: Asus m3a-h
Cpu: Amd Phenom 9600 agena 2.3ghz
System Drive:Western Digital Cavier 80gig
Storage Drive: Seagate barracuda 250gig
Ram:4gb Corsair dominator ddr2 1066( I originally opted for 8gig gskill ram but decided to go with a better 4gig module than later add another 4gig)
Case: antec 300
PSU:Antec Neopower 500

There are so many options I am sure this could be tweaked to be way more optimal.
MonoTim

Re: Help Me Build Daw System

Post by MonoTim »

You didn't say what your OS is

If it's Windows XP, most systems can only address up to 4gigs on a 32bit OS, pass that and you need to go with 64bit.

My opinion only here, but there's two kinds of PC's, desktops (for consumers, preconfigured designed thinking you won't open it up too much), and Workstations (accessible used as power horses to build on through time).

If you want to stay PC, check out HP's workstations, dirt cheap right now this would be the Z workstations, not the desktops (though desktops are fine, if you want to expand over time, may be better to look at workstations)
Workstations are on HP's small business tab, not home office, they're designed for power and flexibility.

Hope that helps a little, the cpu speed does seem limited, storage btw is dirt cheap right now, so is memory as low as $12 1gig, but corsairs are a fine buy you did well there.