Eight-core systems...

Forums for Windows PC computers
SammyJames

Eight-core systems...

Post by SammyJames »

Does anyone know of any good CHEAP 8 core computers yet? I keep on seeing prices hovering around the $2,000 mark. I'm hoping to upgrade my system eventually, but not at these insane prices.

- Sammy
secret Roland agent

Re: Eight-core systems...

Post by secret Roland agent »

Why would you want '8 cores' when you could have the 'whole Apple'?!! (Sorry Sammy. I tried but . . . I couldn't resist.)

MonoTim

Post by MonoTim »

har har har Secret Agent Man...

Apple 8 core just came out not too long ago, yes, they're expensive but you're paying for performance, I have clients buying these for high end audio and graphic work. Response from client "this thing flies!", hence the $$$.

As far a pricing, if Apple announces a newer model, you may see a slight price drop on the older 8 cores, but Apple's very secretive about release dates, and I wouldn't bet on it anytime soon.

But if you work for a company, why not ask your IT dept if there's an employee purchase program, may save you a few $$.
da-man

Post by da-man »

why settle for 8 when you can have 16 in the future.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

i got four. A quad-core is fine. A dual-core would be fine too, if the software companies could learn how to take full advantage of the processing power afforded to them. But, like with most technology, everyone wants to push the envelope. (Frankly, the idea of pushing paper, pencils, paperclips, envelopes, or other stationery appeals to me little. But hey -- if they want to keep on pushing things around, it's okay with me.)

Now I'm getting REALLY weird.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

By the way -- I have NO idea how this got posted twice, I must have hit the "Post Message" button in rapid succession. Anyway, I do apologize for the apparent double-post.
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

I have a dual core 2.0ghz Macbook and it is doing everything I need it to. I'm really impressed with Mac. I can not IMAGINE doing ANY audio work on a PC again. The thought of it actually sends shivers up my spine.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Hey Iggle:

Yes, I do understand, and I respect your point of view. If I had money to burn, I might be tempted to buy a dual-quad-core Mac Pro. But I really needed some major horsepower, and I had only about 700 bucks to spend. So for me, the choice was easy: Buy a Dell, or sit around and twiddle my thumbs!

Anyway, thanks for the input. Take care.

- Sammy