Making a Music Studio?

Forums for Windows PC computers
uribe85

Making a Music Studio?

Post by uribe85 »

I'm making a music studio but I don't know what kind of Computer Desktop (perferably WIndows XP) is good to install all my software(cubase le, pro-tools, fruity loops and etc..) and connect to studio speakers??? and do i need pc card/sound card for the computer modem?? ANY recommendation or advice....

Thank You
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Making a Music Studio?

Post by Artemiy »

I would highly recommend you to get a Mac computer. You will be amazed by how much time it will save you, eliminating all the Windows headaches and hassle. And Cubase is compatible with Macs.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

I've been on a windows XP system with a 2.8 Pentium-4 running cubase for the past 5 years, and have not experienced any headaches yet... Actually very smooth system.. Get what you feel comfortable with... Both will give the exact results..
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Uribe:

We hope that you can pardon us; Artemiy and several other Clansmen here favor Macs. I tried the Mac for Music approach, but I didn't like it. I agree with Septimo that you need to choose the computer that you like best. Personally, I encourage you to go to a real store and try both machines. (Best Buy and Staples in the U.S. offer both ranges.)

If you go with a PC, be sure to get a modern machine that will let you upgrade to Windows 7. I would also highly encourage that you consider going with a 64-bit OS. That will let you take full advantage of the latest music software. In fact, all Windows 7 machines will be 64 bit, and so all manufacturers will be forced to release 64-bit versions (of drivers, especially). (And whether all programs willl run as true 64-bit remains to be seen, but I suspect that all of our favorite software, like NI, PT, Cubase, and Sonar will defintely be ported to 64.

Sammy

P.S. The above claims about whether 64-bit will be the only flavor of Windows 7 is pure speculation on my part. I haven't learned enough yet about the true intentions of Microsoft or the PC computing industry. I'm wating to see what they say before adding any more commentary about this.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I'd like to try a mac for music, a new power mac with cinema display and logic 9. Alas, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

It's pretty easy actually, buy the biggest, fastest, most RAM hauling machine you can find/build/afford. Then make sure it's outfitted with a quick, reliable, and huge harddrive.

+2 points if you consider monitors(not speakers) and an interface in your decision.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

One of the reasons I recommend a Mac is that Windows simply has no future. Each next release is gettimg worse and heavier. Most people still use the ten-year-old XP and miss hundreds of amazing and time-saving features that are available in OS X. And no, I did use Windows for several years and it is in every way harder to use than OS X, draining your brain with tons of stupid routine operations. Those that say they don't like Macs must simply be mosachists! :-)
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Here's my 2-cents worth:

I was a Window$ guy since Window$ 1.0. I sunk many many thousands of Dollar$ into both hardware and software over many years to support that platform. Although Window$ XP is probably the best operating system that Micro$oft has ever done, the constant stream of security updates that are pushed to the users over the web caused me nothing but grief. I had numerous flatten-and-reload experiences resulting from that crap.

I believe that Micro$oft got themselves into a big hole with Vista. It remains to be seen whether they will ever be able to fully recover from it.

Earlier this year, I switched to an iMac. I love it! A month ago, I got my wife one too. I guess we contributed to the strong quarter than Apple had with their sales. It appears that I am not the only one who as given up on Micro$oft.

As Septimo correctly points out, however, the quality of the music you make will be no different whether you are using the Mac or a PC. You are, after all, the artist -- not the machine.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Hey guys --

Sorry -- I deleted my last post because after rereading Uribe's original message, I realized that I had gone WAY off-topic.

What you are asking is as follows:

What kind of DESKTOP should you get?

You want an XP system; which machine would be best-suited, and what other peripherals do you need?

To answer this question, I'll refer you to MicroCenter or NewEgg. Both outlets have tons of machines that are hovering around the $500-$1000 mark. You should get one that has a PCI slot, so that you can add a nice audio/MIDI interface card. (I would do this rather than go with a FireWire or USB. You'll get better performance from the PCI bus than you will with any other sort of configuration, save for USB 3.0, which isn't going to be out for another year at least.)

You can look at the Dells and the HPs. I'd stay away from eMachines and Gateways (because Gateway was bought by Acer, and Acer SUUUUUuuuuuuuuucks....)

Finally, once you get your machine, get an M-Audio card. You can get the Audiophile Delta 192 or the Delta 2496. They are both great, and the 2496 has the benefit of being under $!00.

(EDIT -- I have stated somewhere else that only 64-bit versions of Windows 7 will be available. I have no idea whether this is true, so I'm not even going to speculate on it anymore.)

Sammy
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Between the Dell's and the HP's, I would go with a Dell. From personal experience, HP support SUUUUuuuuuuuuks. It is not the company it used to be.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Bruiser:

You are 100% correctomundo. My dad constantly complains about his HP -- but I've yet to ever complain about the many Dell products that I've owned over the years.

Remember -- they're ALL made in China -- even Macs. Support and warranties are the keys to enjoying -- or hating -- your new computer.

Sammy

P.S. And on that note, Apple can be good for service, but you MUST purchase their extended warranty (AppleCare.) Without it, you will be utterly lost if anything goes seriously wrong with your machine (and it goes belly-up). Of course, this is true of all major manufacturers. But Apple is unique because there are many so-called "Apple Store" outlets, in the U.S. at least. I found my local store to be useful when I inadvertently dropped my MacBook about 17 times and needed to take advantage of the 3-year warranty that I had purchased for it.
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Good point about all of them being made in China. Seems as though the quality of the components used inside the box are about the same across all makers. Cost, warranties, support, and the sexiness of the box/keyboard/monitor seem to be the deciding factors when capacities and speed are equalized. You really can't judge based on the "quality" of the components anymore.

I am, however, rather impressed that it took 17 drops before your MacBook complained. You might be on to a new comparison method to consider when evaluating brands.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Bruiser:

They just don't make 'em like they used to...

:)

Sammy
Know1

Post by Know1 »

If you are using Protools you don't need a sound card. Your Protools interface is your sound card.

Oh and get a MAC!!! You'll never have any problems.

You can even run Mac OSX and Windows on It at the same time.
I would personally never install Windows on my Mac but if you need to use Fruity loops It's not like you can't.

Peace
memoryguy

Post by memoryguy »

I agree with getting a Mac. Everything is just rock solid.

Anyways, you haven't told us your budget.