Mouse & audio issues in Windows Vista

Forums for Windows PC computers
comradec

Mouse & audio issues in Windows Vista

Post by comradec »

I've been having persistent issues with two aspects of the Vista SP2 installation on my dual-booting Vista/XP desktop system.

Each of the functions involved works absolutely fine using the XP SP3 installation on the same computer, but gives me problems in the Vista SP2 installation, even though every other element of the system - hardware and software - is identical.

The issues are as follows:

(1) Intermittent response to wireless mice. Whichever wireless mouse I use - and I've tried plenty of them - I find that Vista frequently fails to respond to mouse movements as quickly as it should and there's often periods of several seconds where nothing happens at all, either with the cursor gone out of view or simply failing to move. There are several wireless mice in this house - Logitech, Trust and others - but they all have the same issue. No problem at all in XP SP3, though. I've adjusted the Control Panel mouse settings to ensure it's set up identically in both systems, and I've done the same with the software provided by the mouse manufacturers where applicable.

(2) Crackly audio whichever audio interface I use. I've got four USB and FireWire interfaces - Edirol FA-66, UA-25 and UA-EX, and the one built into my Roland Fantom-G - and I've tried a couple of others too. Every one is fine in XP but repeatedly produces crackles in Vista, regardless of the audio application I'm using and no matter what the buffer settings are.

Now I know these problems can't be due to Vista per se because I have a Vista SP2 laptop that suffers from none of these problems. All the audio interfaces and all the mice work fine with the Vista laptop, but they all refuse to cooperate when I'm using the Vista installation on my dual-booting desktop system.

Does any one have any constructive suggestions for things I might try to get my Vista desktop working properly?

The key specs for my system are as follows:

Intel Core2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 GHz, 3.2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1050 graphics card
Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
dbijoux

Re: Mouse & audio issues in Windows Vista

Post by dbijoux »

Sorry, I don't have much anything constructive to say about Windows Vista.

I'm just glad you have a workable dual boot with XP. Personally, I would only consider XP(or a Mac) as a viable option for audio. Maybe you will have better luck with Windows 7.

The problem is most likely something to do with the USB/Firewire interfaces; possibly checking for any updated drivers could help you out. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... /index.htm

There are also some good threads on SOS about interface latency that might give you some insight into similar setups.