Using pc with midi keyboard

Forums for Windows PC computers
HayDer

Using pc with midi keyboard

Post by HayDer »

I'm thinking of using a computer with a midi keyboard live, just to use several samples like those of spectrasonics and garritan. I have an Toshiba A500 with an 2.88gh CPU, 4gb ram, etc dont know if its enough, and a Yamaha kx8 keyboard. What do i need more in software and equipment to play live, and how do i do it?

Thanks in advance
HayDer

Re: Using pc with midi keyboard

Post by HayDer »

anyone?
shakil

Post by shakil »

Need more details. What kind of live performance? one man or in a band? do you need to play only keys or the whole band?

Do you have any audio interface? USB or Frewire or PCMCIA? You will need that for any live work.

Your laptop is on the slow side... but for single keyboard sound might be enough.

Do you have the fantom G?

Also, I suggest you visit some general computer music forums, or the Yamaha KX forum to get more specific response. This is Fantom G forum.
keysme

Post by keysme »

The Toshiba A500 has sufficient power as far as the CPU goes but I am somewhat concerned about it having only a 5400 rpm Hard Drive. Ideally you want the fastest hard drive possible when you run system intensive software like VSTi's. As well as the fastest RAM as possible too and with the lowest latencies. Hitachi and Seagate make 7200 rpm hard drives for laptop computers as well as some other companies. You might want to consider replacing the 5400 rpm drive with a 7200 rpm if possible. 4 GB of DDR2 RAM (800MHz) should be sufficient although DDR3 would have been better. Ideally you also want a 'keyboard' (whether controller or workstation like the FG) to utilize USB "2".0, if you indeed access your VSTi's over a USB interface. Having said that, you will also need an audio card solution for your laptop for use in conjunction with your keyboard controller and your software VSTi's whether you run USB or standard 5-pin MIDI to your computer. There are some fairly decent audio card interfaces for laptops on the market. If you already have one then great. If you don't then Guitar Center.com, Musicians Friend.com, Sweetwater.com, ZZounds.com etc., are all places where you should be able to find a laptop audio card solution for your needs.

You will also need a VST Host application like Sonar or Cubase to be able to run your VSTi's with.

Keep us informed on how it's going with your progress and let us know if you need any more assistance HeyDer. We'll be glad to try and assist you if we can.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Moved to "Computers and Software".
HayDer

Post by HayDer »

Thanks Keysme and Shakil for replying.

Shakil, Im in a Progressive Rock Band, just playing keys... I have a Fantom G8, just want to use the computer to play with some sound libraries.

Keysme, I have Sonar and some sound libraries, what other software would i need?

Thanks in advance
HayDer

Post by HayDer »

anyone?
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Hi HayDer,
Here are some basics, ignore this if you are beyond this stage. I'm going to assume that to begin with, you just want to be able to play some of the library patches with your band. To do so, you must set up this string:

Keyboard-->MIDI interface-->PC-->S/W music host-->sound library or VST

then

S/W-->PC-->audio interface-->mixer or stage amp

1. Keyboard. Either the G8 or the Yamaha will work. They will provide the MIDI data to trigger the sound libraries.

2. MIDI interface. Both of your keyboards have a USB interface which means that either will send the MIDI data directly to the PC. You don't need a MIDI interface! All you have to do is connect up the USB cable. There may be the issue of a driver. This would be the software you must load on your computer to recognize the MIDI coming in and piping it into Sonar.

3. PC. You have one and as already indicated how much you can do depends upon the speed of the processor. For the kind of live performing you are talking about, I don't believe the speed of the hard drive is an issue. You really just care about the speed of the CPU.

4. S/W host. I don't use Sonar, but is a reasonable choice. You will have to figure out how to set it up to receive MIDI from your keyboard if you have not already done so.

5. Sound libraries. Looks like you also have those as well. You don't really need more software. Just have to be sure you can add the libraries to Sonar.

So far everything should come right together.

6. Audio interface. Here is the piece you may be missing. You can, of course, get audio directly out of your laptop headphone jack, but this is the place you need to spend some money. What you need is a good DAC (digital to audio converter). This is just a "sound card ", but for music, you want one specifically designed for the task. You will get better quality. There are a large number of these on the market, and they can have a number of additional interfaces that you may or may not need. For example they may have audio inputs so you can sample your own sounds. Technically speaking, your G8 can already do this, so is probably not a priority for you.

Of course there is a whole lot more, but this basic set-up should not be hard to put together. Let us know how far you get and if you run into problems.

-Rodan