XP Networking DAW oes

Forums for Windows PC computers
dbijoux

XP Networking DAW oes

Post by dbijoux »

Does anyone know what the minimal services are required for file sharing on XP? I want to map a drive on another computer or share a folder on this one.

I seemed to have forgotten something when I streamlined the DAW and turned off the networking.

Now, I get an error when mapping something like - shared computer/resource cannot be found.

I've tried turning back on Workstation, Server, and Computer Browser. Additionally, some other services, but still no network. The funny thing is, I got it to map a network drive locally using it's own IP address but not from another computer.

Thanks, if anyone has any ideas... would be most helpful.
SammyJames

Re: XP Networking DAW oes

Post by SammyJames »

Another in a series of "rescued posts" by Sammy James...

Yes -- I have had this problem too. You just need to enable networking on all computers that you want to have talk to one another. In my network, I have two computers that share a single network, and one is XP and the other is Windows 7. They can talk to one another without a hitch, as long as I have both networks enabled.

To do this on the XP machine, make sure that you go to "Connect to..." on the Start Menu and select "Show All Connections." I have a wireless router (an Apple Airport) that serves as a wired hub as well. The music computer is connected via an ethernet cable, and my netbook is wireless. The Airport handles all connections and lets me share files among the two computers. I can also connect to the Internet from either machine.

I frequently turn the music computer off to the network, by merely using the "Network Setup" or whatever it is called in Windows 7. When I want to work on a project, I shut off the adapter, and enable it again to download updates (the only reason for my having an Internet connection on my music computer).

- Sammy