Roland ua-30 not working

Forums for Windows PC computers
dballs

Roland ua-30 not working

Post by dballs »

my buddy gave me a roland ed ua-30 usb audio interface. seems after some review its pretty ancient. but hey its free, i want to record at home to my pc and im broke so it seems perfect for me.

anyways i cant seem to get this thing working on anything. ive tried it on audacity, cakewalk, etc... i plug my guitar in and i get nada. i go to my control panel/ sounds and audio devices/ audio tab and it says that the ua-30 is selected.

im brand new to home recording but not to computers so any help would be good. any drivers? other settings? settings in cakewalk?

thanks! :)
SammyJames

Re: Roland ua-30 not working

Post by SammyJames »

Hey:

If you haven't been to RolandUS.com -- Support -- Downloads -- T-Z, then go there now. According to the page that I have, there is no "UA-30," but you might try the UA-20 drivers. If all else fails, email Roland tech support (register for free if you haven't already done so) and they'll get back to you.

Sammy
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

Which operating system are you using? The drivers for the UA-30 are listed as incompatible with Vista, and I've heard they don't do well under Windows XP on many systems (actually it's certain chipsets they don't seem to like, but I can't remember all the details.) Macs were apparently supported up to OS 9, but I don't know what happened after that.

If it's showing up in the control panel the driver must have been recognized, but if your machine doesn't meet some specific requirements (VIA chipset comes to mind) then they may hate each other.
dballs

Post by dballs »

im running windows xp pro sp3. i have a asus a8v e-deluxe motherboard with VIA K8T890 chipset i believe. windows found a driver for it right away but seems to run flooky. when the device is plugged in my sound card doesnt work. but that seems right as it switches in cpanel to the device. ill try some suggestions and get back. thanks for all your help guys
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

You know, M-Audio had problems with the FireWire Solo drivers when XP SP3 came out. You could upgrade to SP3, but if you then upgraded the FW drivers, the system would go all "flooky." (I'm gonna have to remember that one...)

Maybe you could try reverting to SP2. It might not destroy your OS; I had to do that so that I could use the interface at all.

Let us know what you finally come up with.