Pro Tools

Forums for Windows PC computers
Zylfrax791

Pro Tools

Post by Zylfrax791 »

Maybe someone can explain this to me because I just don't get it. I'm thinking about getting Pro Tools but just from looking at sites like Guitar Center etc. I'm unable to actually figure out which one is the actual full featured product and how much is it? All the sites have "packages" and LE version and upgrades etc. I just want to know how much is the full featured product for Windows thats all... Is it just me or anyone else notice this?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Pro Tools

Post by Artemiy »

I think you cannot get Pro Tools software separately. You need to buy it with one of their audio interfaces.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

This may be a case of if you have to ask it's too expensive. You should look for Pro Tools HD if you want 'full' version.
Know1

Post by Know1 »

The full featured version... That's just really bad wording but I do understand what you are asking.

There are 3 versions of Protools.

M powered, LE, and HD.

As to the previous comment about getting Protools HD, that reply is clearly uneducated.
I don't think your going to spend several thousand dollars when you have never touched the program. It would run you at least $8000 that's if your current computer could handle it.

M powered and LE are very similar. Although LE has a few more features.

M powered only works with select M audio interfaces. Where LE only works with Digidesign interfaces.
They both work with Protools HD (which is what you will find in a studio). This is nice if you ever want to take a project to the studio.

Price differences you are probably noticing is the price of the interface.
You can buy a Digi 003 or a Mbox 2. There is absolutely NO difference in the program. You're paying for the interface. You may want to look at what you need in an interface and buy the one that best suites you.

Peace
cminor

Post by cminor »

you need headegg? the only thing that protools is giving is a headegg.
We had to buy it at work because the client was asking the audio master to be given in protools even if we work in other software.
Do I have to tell you all the problems?
from the authorization process to the colateral costs for some pluggins...
if a memory DIMM was added, "the system is not the same as the one you've installed the protools please re-authorize..." and other stuff like this.
If you are a begginer, I advise you to "try it" first.
Download a demo for a M-Audio card (borrow a card from a friend) a test it.
Test Cubase , Logic and other stuff.
I don't want to be annoying but Protools IS annoying.
Know1

Post by Know1 »

Huh??
Your statement doesn't make much sense. I'll stick to the main topic though.

Protools is pretty nice. It doesn't have some of the problems that some other DAWs have. Including Logic and Cubase.

Protools 8 just works. Period!
cminor

Post by cminor »

like what?
Protools have bugs too.
And just recently the hardware has a driver "compatible" with other Software.
About two months ago, if you tried to play something thru digital, from other software then Protools, the DIGI003 wasn't enable to do that.
Just recently they release a driver that use ASIO.
Any way, the Protools Politic System is not cheap.
The costs are very high.
For exporting with timecode and for using mpeg in Protools LE (we have DIGI003 Factory+Rack) we had to buy 2 pluggins :
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=119&langid=10...
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&...

anyway, for using protools as multitrack recorder for video (yeah, vegas is much less but still...) we had to "give" about 2500$ for 2 plugins.

So, before you buy it... read with great care, if the bundle is offering the pluggins you need, and if it does, ARE THEY FULL or just DEMO?
chicks

Post by chicks »

Cminor... If pro tools had as many problems as you state it has, it would not be a competitor among the DAW's of the day let alone the industry standard. I too had problems with my initial foray into PT but the problems were quickly solved and attributed to my ignorance as the user. Since then I have used PT for just about everything including multitracking to video (I prefer mpegs). I have also had Logic and Cubase and each if these program are very intuitive and powerful, yet I find myself back in PT. I still use each of these from time to time depending on the situation.

As to the OP, Know1 said it best and I can't improve upon what he already said. Personally, I use PT8LE with the music production toolkit and digi002 Rack at my home studio, and have yet to yearn for HD there. In the commercial studio, I use HD mainly because of the track count and c24 interface and controller. My point is if this is your entrance into PT, don't even worry about HD or the so called "full" version. M-powered or LE will be more than enough. Don't by any stretch leave Logic or Cubase untested as they also have many benefits the some would prefer to PT
Know1

Post by Know1 »

Cminor, c'mon man. You're acting like your spending all this money for studio work. You're in a studio using a Digi 003, I think not!
Not that there is any thing wrong with the 003 but it's home studio quality. Not something that would be used in a professional environment.

So have fun in your basement with all that.

By the way how are you getting away with such a small track count if you're doing video?
cminor

Post by cminor »

1. I am working as sound enginner and producer in a studio, the fact that I have a home studio too, is another thing.
2.I am working here in Vegas, Cubase and Protools, sometimes in Sound Track Pro.
3. We don't make "just" music. The company profile is movies and cartoons. I am making soundtracks for movies, cartoons, recording with actors and artists.
4. I didn't say Protools sucks. I said Protools is too expensive for home studio, and even for small companies. It doesn't have mush features from the start, unless you pay a big amount of money. So it ain't for home use.
5. I was only trying to make him read all the "bundles" and to be carefull not to buy something that MAYBE is not what he needs. The price of the cheapest Protools configuration, is not the cheapest :p

And that's all folks.
http://www.empirefilm.ro/animatie-ro.htm
cminor

Post by cminor »

Yes, that is not a Digi003, it's fake... the RME and PowerCore too...
See how easy is to blame Knowone?

And all I was trying to do is make that user read the "specifications" of the products.
Even if its Cubase, Protools, Logic, or other ...
Know1

Post by Know1 »

Oh so you lied about what gear you were using. BIG SURPRISE! What else did you lie about.

By the way, I use PT LE at home it works fine! It's for home use. PT HD is for the studio.

Funkin haters......
I'm sick of people who don't even belong in a conversation trying to give their two cents when they dont' know what they are talking about.

Don't get me started on some of the other DAWs.
Know1

Post by Know1 »

OHhhh I see you were trying to be sarcastic. You are clearly not the brightest crayon in the box.

If you were in a Pro settting you wouldn't be using a 003 you'd be using HD. Period!
cminor

Post by cminor »

Zylfrax791, I am sorry for all those "not on the topic post" this will be my last.
Know1 did I insult you? no , but you did, so buzz off to your HD (where did I lie? first read my post and then answear, do you see something wriiten by my with the words "HD" as "own" ???)
Second, that was a print of Sound 3, a PC, in the studio are 3-4 stations, 2 Mac, and 2 PC. On Mac I was randering something and I didn't want to show "About this Mac" here.
And second... why do you keep eat ... and not write something usefull for Zylfrax791?
P.S.
Protools is used in many studios just because some major contracts are "asking for protools" not only because is the best. I'm not saying that is the worse, but for a home user (do you want to start your own studio or is it for home studio Zylfrax791? ) will have many trouble in using, authorizing, Protools.
Why no-one is speaking about the way you must authorize Protools?
The way you must go to ilok site an make account, go to digidesign and make another accout, wait until ilok and digidesign must email each other and all those checking until you receive authorization serials, and the fact that if you change a single component (usb card, RAM memory, HDD, anything, the authorization process must be check again.
That was the headegg I was talking about... all those go to ilok, go to digidesign, WAIT for emails... DON'T modify anything in the computer...
"Protools is the best" is this all that you can say?
Zylfrax791 is waiting for reasons not just "Protools rules"
When we sign with a major movie company about 4 years ago, they ask in contract, Protools. So this is how Protools is in many studios...
I repet my self, I am not saying that is the worse... Zylfrax791 all I'm saying is try before buy.

And my apologies to all that may felt offended by my words (except Know1 who insult me without reason).
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Hey Zylfrax:

Artemiy was correct -- sadly, the only way to use ProTools is to buy one of their audio interfaces. The reasons for this are probably difficult to ascertain, but what I believe is that Avid, DigiDesign's parent company, figured out LONG ago that software would become increasingly "free." Thus, they made it near impossible to use their software without buying the hardware to run it. Thus, they make a ton of money, and have managed to corner at least one part of the audio industry -- namely, the market for studio production among professionals.

This is only my view; your mileage may vary. But if I were you, I would just get Cubase or Logic, depending on whether you use a Mac or PC. Either of them will let you use any ASIO-compliant hardware, including many that do support ProTools software. If you really, really, REALLY just gotta have the PT stuff, then get an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and the M-Powered software, which is the same product as the full HD version -- albeit with certain limittations (I believe that the audio track count is lower in the M-Powered versions, but hey -- if you REALLY need more than 48 tracks, you might need to look for some patronage...)

Anyway, I do hope that this helps. You are correct, by the way, in asserting that ProTools's marketing seems elitist. It bugs the hell out of me too, and this is why I pretty much refuse to buy any more of their products.

Later.

- Sammy