Anyone have Windows 7 yet...?

Forums for Windows PC computers
SammyJames

Anyone have Windows 7 yet...?

Post by SammyJames »

Just wondering. It came out a couple of days ago, I believe. If anyone has used it yet, post about it here. I have a Dell laptop that I bought back in June during their promotion, so I qualify for the free upgrade. I will be upgrading eventually but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm just curious to know if it is living up to the hype.

Sammy
Iano C

Re: Anyone have Windows 7 yet...?

Post by Iano C »

Yes, it is.
Windows 7 64bit here.
It's quicker boots by about 10-20 sec depending on the machine, over Vista 64.
Much easier on the eye, faster gadgets, excellent clean multi windows hiding/switching (IE etc).
Themes & Customisation galore.
All in all it's without a doubt the best OS i have used.
Runs fntastic on my Quad Core 2.6Ghz with 8Gb Ram.

One big problem though, when do we get Windows 7 64bit drivers for the Fantom G? :-(
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Well, I installed it today. I will say only one thing about it, and it is negative:

I will not be buying any more Microsoft products.

This is the last straw. No mail program on board = no way will I buy any more software from Microsoft.

I refuse to let them try to stick me into a corner by offering "cloud" computing solutions -- which invariably cost us a lot more money. How stupid do they think I am? Like I want to be advertised to when I'm relaxing and emailing my friends.

Screw you, Bill Gates. You've been put on-notice. I hope that your company fails, BIG time.

Sammy

P.S. I will, soon, be ditching all paid software. I'm going to migrate to Linux over the next year or so. It will be painful, but I don't care. I've had it with these shenanigans.
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

i swore years ago that i would never by Microsoft again as i watched apple products get better and better while windows just stayed the same and in my opinion shitty. but here i am still with windows because this computer is still alive and i don't have the spare change to buy an apple for what they cost. saying that i think the apple will come soon as there new prices are much lower
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Sammy -

I gave Linux a chance, but was quickly turned off by the quality, consistency and maturity of the software applications available for it. Apple is the way to go right now. A bit pricey on the hardware side, but the stuff is really well engineered. My wife and I have 2 iMacs now, and love them both...

Even though I live in the Seattle area, I will never purchase another Micro$oft product again. I used to buy just about anything and everything they produced. As I am not alone in my exodus from their customer base, I believe they are on a very steep downward slope.
Audiotech Records

Post by Audiotech Records »

Just got it today and it rocks.....its like super xp and then some.....I like it a lot. Very smooth and fast. Nice job MS!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sammy, I really have no idea why you sold your MacBook a year ago. Really can't imagine someone who would not "dig" their amazing interface and all those countless little things that save you time each and every second. My iMac has served me for nearly 4 years now, booting every day without a hiccup and just letting me to do what I want, whenever I want.
lapina

Post by lapina »

Willy,

Have a look at my thread re: WIndows 7 drivers. There is a suggested work-around that I will try later but Roland tells me that they may "sometime this month" and if you look at M-audio's web site they display a development schedule on page one that doesn't look too promising in terms of time/availability.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Hey Art:

Well, the reasons were many. For one, I had been counting on having a real job when I bought it, and then it took me a lot longer to get any work. I needed the money, first and foremost. Second, it took up more space on my desk than the PC that I also owned. But third, and perhaps most importantly, was that I just didn't like the "feel" of the GUI and OS. I know that you swear by that, and hey -- if that is your thing, then cool. I don't begrudge you the chance to use what you like.

Understand some things about me. I'm not a hard-core programmer, but I have lived around that kind of atmosphere. I used to go to my dad's work with him, to hang out while he programmed at his VT100 terminal. I had no idea what he was doing most of the time, but I got into the idea of how he did it.

I was about eight years old when he brought home a Digital Equipment Corporation PDT-150. I remember it fondly -- despite its 8.5" floppies, the insane amount of heat generated by its CPU's giant 200 cm fans (not to mention the resultant noise) and, even for its time, outdated character cell display. But I came to quickly understand how to use it. Heck, I was the first kid on my block with a VIC 20 and C 64 (one after the other -- not simultaneously, of course).

Windows has been good, for the most part. I have few problems with the little tricks that you have to do to get things working sometimes. Interestingly, Windows is E-Z compared to Linux -- and yet, I have begun to understand how to configure audio in Linux as well. But I have grown tired of being marketed to. I want to DO the marketing now, and Linux offers that chance.

Configurability is a big deal to me. I am not an end-user, really. I am more of an entrepreneur. Every product that I have owned for the last twenty years has prepared me to learn how to not just use it -- but to improve upon its design. This is what I am in the process of doing as we speak.

As is so often stated elsewhere -- watch this space.

:)

Later!

Sammy

P.S. And before you say "you can develop stuff for Mac!!! Don't you want to take advantage of their superior hardware...?!" The answer, in short is

NO WAY.

Macs are NOT superior to everything else. They are good for home computing, for the most part. Macs are no more ergonomic than PCs for such scenarios as how you sit at a screen, how your hands work with a keyboard, and when it comes to mice -- I hate to say it -- but the Mighty Mouse is the WORST MOUSE EVER. Period. This is not even debatable. Having to clutch at that stupid mouse made my knuckles bleed. (Okay -- definitely exaggerating here -- but my arthritis was on FIRE after about one hour of trying to navigate with that piece of crap.)

Artemiy -- I respect your views on computing. I hope that this doesn't drive a wedge between us, but I also hope that you might come down a tad from that "Mac Evangelist" precipice that you are currently flirting with. And anyway -- I think that Apple already has that postition covered...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sammy, you sound very controversial at times...
I will not be buying any more Microsoft products.

Windows has been good, for the most part.

It feels like, you have been hurt once again, but after the pain has gone, you kind of forgot the incident. Just make sure you do not become a masochist :-D

And no, I do not really want to sound like a Mac evangelist. It's that I have been through all three systems, and spent more than 3-4 years with each, and I know what I am talking about. I have done everything form music composition, audio editing, programming to graphics design, book publishing and I know these systems from many sides of dealing with such a variety of tasks. No system in the world even comes close to how easily you can work on a Mac. Period. I can prove this by measuring how much time you would waste on other systems doing stupid tasks that the computer should be doing for you.

When you say you did not like the user interface - well, some people do not like the car's steering wheel, preferring to ride a bike. BTW yes, Mighty Mouse was not a masterpiece (although I got used to it), but now they have a Magic Mouse which is in a totally different territory (it's multi-touch).
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Yuh-huh. I'm definitely controversial. I'm also, at times, contracictory. Hey -- sue me. After all -- I'm only (part) human. Of flesh, plastic, and metal I'm made...

- Sammy

P.S. Oh, and don't worry that I'll become a masochist. I'm ALREADY a masochist.