Favorite non-keyboard control methods...

Forums for Windows PC computers
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

I'm talking about the mouse, QWERTY, and non-piano-keyboard elements that make up your workspace. I've struggled for years now trying to find the best way to place things like the mouse, the computer keyboard, mixer, and other MIDI control surfaces.

Tell us all what your favorite way to arrange things. Include a pic if you have one.

Sammy
Shambler

Re: Favorite non-keyboard control methods...

Post by Shambler »

I have a desk on top of which sits my V-Synth GT, behind it is my monitor screen.

On a monitor bracket is a Yammy XS-Rack and my sound interface I/O which sits above the V-Synth.

On the wall behind the desk is a shelf with my speaker monitors on it, about head height.

Underneath the desk is a slide out shelf with the computer keyboard and mouse on it...works well for my needs at the moment but can't really fit anything else to the setup and have it remain comfortable to use.

I just need to get a slightly higher chair and it would be perfect.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

I tend to use mouse more than computer keyboard and for years suffered from pain in my neck, shoulder, and arm. When I moved the mouse to directly in front of me, the pain was gone within a week. So my solution is to put a laptop on a monitor stand with the mouse directly underneath the laptop.

Still no good way to combine this with a musical keyboard, but to prevent it from becoming a pain in the neck, I have to keep the computer combination at the same height as the musical keyboard, and so it ends up being an L shape with the computer off to the side of the keyboard.

You are really addressing a fundamental problem here. The computer keyboard is NOT a musical instrument, it is a data entry device. Somehow we have to improve the interface to the computer which can be a musical instrument. I guess, that is what MIDI attempts to do. But MIDI is pretty old. Is anyone working on newer interfaces?

Rodan
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

My iMac is around 40-50 cm from me, with the keyboard right in front of it, so when I work with either the keyboard or the mouse, my hands lie on the table almost up to the elbows.

One thing I can say is I rarely sit on one place for more than an hour. I always switch tasks, gear and places, not allowing myself to get "glued" to the chair. Otherwise my body tends to develop aches in many places that get stalled when I sit still for a long time.
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

Know1

Post by Know1 »

Well I'm not about to start discussing my set up. My patience are too thin for that.

I will say this though. PUT YOUR MOUSE DOWN, Learn the key commands for the DAW you are using. It's way faster and will have the less knowledgeable on your jock while in your presence.