LCD Burnout - ???

Forums for Windows PC computers
dbijoux

LCD Burnout - ???

Post by dbijoux »

So, earlier today I noticed the screen on my laptop DAW was starting to flicker. I wrapped up a project and shut it down hoping it was a fluke.

Tonight, within 15 minutes of booting and after a few more exaggerated flickers, it went black. Not completely black, I actually could use a HID flashlight to finish backing up the latest files, but after I closed explorer, I could barely see anything without the white background there.

It seems to me the LCD flourescent backlight burnt out.

Knowing there are some technical gurus our here, has anyone experienced this before? I guess this is somewhat typical with laptops. I'm pretty comfortable ripping into desktop machines, but I've never been inside the laptop. Is it difficult to replace the LCD? Any tips?

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone has a similar story with a happy ending to share, but this is also a sort of vent.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: LCD Burnout - ???

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux, this is a well known issue here at the Clan... sooner or later, you will switch to a Mac.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

>.< LOL

You do realize I heard a little birdie on my shoulder saying exactly that.

Mac's have LCD's too! Don't they? They even crash sometimes I've heard.

It just couldn't be much worse timing to put out for an expensive repair. I found a place that might be able to fix the backlight, if i send them the screen alone, for less than $100. I'll call them tomorrow to see what they can do. I was really hoping to get by on this a little longer before having to get something up-to-date!?
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Just a suggestion guys

Is it possible that this is because of the computer over heating. Apparently overheating can black out or muddle up the performance of a computer. Just suggesting ..
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Heat might have something to do with it. It's on a cooler pad, but yeah it gets a workout.. After looking into it more, I think I've figured out how to get to the LCD - under 4 screws.

It seems to be rather common problem with 'all' laptops usually caused by failure of 1) LCD Backlight or 2) the power inverter.

The flicker was reminiscent of a fluorescent light bulb going out, so I hope it's just that. It could be the Inverter also - a wicked little piece of wiring that bumps 9volts up to +600 volts. The bummer is, the bulb might be cheap but difficult to replace, while the inverter board is like two wires, but maybe $100 or more.

It's getting to be an older computer now and I've definitely put endless screen hours on it. I've been waiting for something to go poof, hence the first thing I did was start backing up.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

That must be very annoying for you to under take diagnostics with your PC. Best option, save all your work into a portable external hard-drive and then throw your PC into the rubbish bin. Take Artemiy advice. Buy a Mac.

KRE8A

PS:- Just joking with you db. Hope you get it fixed so you can get back to all of your fun technical puzzles.

regards ;)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

See dbijoux, there is no escape! :-D
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Update: LCD's are not as easy to replace as they look.

Two blisters later and all I have to show for it is a halfway dismantled laptop with more problems discovered than I started with.

It makes me sick to think I'll have to rebuild a new one, but it may be the answer.

A Mac is out of the question, I don't have that kind of budget, any budget right now actually. I can't imagine working on a 13.3" screen is all that pleasant anyways. Although I did find a decent deal on an iMac - they aren't exactly the dog's for production are they?
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

[[ You'd be surprised *db how excellent Imac really is for - Video producing / Photos / Music in all grounds / Designing / etcetera... ]] The Imac that I'm currently using is extremely modern in comparison to what a PC - Cannot specifically control at it's best, as pointed in the brackets. Apple is excellent for the above applications. When first starting up, the machine only takes about 2 minutes in total, for everything to be booted. I think if you had this machine or preferably one equivalent, you would never have to worry about malfunction nor breakdown anymore. My machine has not let me down in anyway. I bought this 1 year a go at $2800.00 Australian Dollars. I don't know the current pricing now, if still sold on the market shelf.

Check it out on the net for future reference -

Mac OS X
Version 10.5.8
Processor 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
24 inch screen visibility
plasmis

Post by plasmis »

If there were only a mac version of SONAR... ;)
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Just out of interest guy's, I did a stop watch count to see how long it would take my computer to boot up. From exactly the time I pressed the on button - it took exactly 46 seconds for everything to be ready on the Imac. I have been using it through the day though, so on other day's I have felt that it does take a little longer for it to boot. 2 minutes max.
btw, I do have a PC Lappy (Toshiba) which I love to use for other things. PC's are really good for anything in general. My dislikes are pop ups, constant updates and scanning.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Two weeks, a few odd days later, one parted out LCD from Ebay, quite a bit of improvised epoxy molding and a few pieces of tape.

It's fixed! and I dare say better than before.

Brighter than ever and so much easier on the eyes. For that matter, my ears too.

Mac? What? With a new harddrive I'll be right on schedule and rolling my finely tuned, hand carved, upgradeable and actually maintainable laptop through the summer and well into fall.