For all of you MAC LOVERS out there!! =D

Forums for Windows PC computers
piaknowguy

For all of you MAC LOVERS out there!! =D

Post by piaknowguy »

Well? . . . I took the plunge and bought a Dell Studio XPS 9000. I've heard alot of good things about this latest Dell offering -

Specs -

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-920

Memory
12GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

Video Card
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
(Has 3 individual display outputs)

Hard Drive
1TB 7200 RPM SATA

Operating System
Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English

Optical Drive
Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (BD-ROM; DVD/CD Burner) and DVD+/-RW

Network
Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet

2nd Hard Drive
750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Boy! Am I in for it now!!! I'm certain that I've made the wrong choice! =)

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy
Film Score Demo
PiaKnow
dbijoux

Re: For all of you MAC LOVERS out there!! =D

Post by dbijoux »

*CHEERS!*

It's good to know there will be one less person trying to convince me to buy a bloody mac.

The only concern I have with Dell(any mfg for that matter) is the firewire chipset they use.

12gb makes me almost laugh. It's really quite insane the power you have now. Three screens sounds interesting; nothing like panoramic DAW displays for those really prolonged anthems.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

It's good to know there will be one less person trying to convince me to buy a bloody mac.

LOL!!

PiaKnowGuy
Film Score Demo
PiaKnow
vox

Post by vox »

Dbijoux, I've got a Dell XPS system too, and the on-board firewire chipset is Texas Instrument (works great). But I still would recommend a LaCie firewire PCI board.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Having PC hardware is not an issue for me, but Windows is :-) You won't ever persuade me that a system that asks you for 3 mouse clicks is not better than the one that asks you for 5. Windows, even the latest 7, frustrates me every time I happen to use it: it's interface logic is very poorly designed, very inconsistent and, yes, sometimes the whole thing is too unstable. Mac owners rarely talk about technical stuff like PC owners, because all they know is they will switch their machine and start working on their ideas. That's a big difference but I don't want to enforce you to understand it.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

You know, Artemiy? I could never stop 'Garageband' from lagging or freezing when I attempted to input data (play and record sounds) using the computer keyboard, both 'wired' and 'wireless', no matter how many Macs I tried!! I could not even begin to 'work on my ideas'! That did it for me! It was then that I realized that Mac was not impervious to it's own set of problems.

Still happy with my decision! =D
PiaKnowGuy
Film Score Demo
PiaKnow
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Did you know that the iSight camera has a Diehard Windows User (tm) detector built in? It then activates the Windows Freeze and Windows Lag functions so the experience feels more familiar to you!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

All in all I think this kind of a debate is like trying to persuade a Christian to become a Buddhist ;-))
cminor

Post by cminor »

Mdeah....
All the power I had in a i7, all the 8GB of RAM, all the RAID 0 + 1 , the S-ATA 320, THE LICENCES (NO CRACK PERMITED on that studio), coudn't save me from the BSOD...
... so I got a Mac.
Sold it because I wanted too much from a 8 year old Mac.
Now I have a small fond and by the end of the summer, I hope I get at list a Mini (hopping for iMac).

So as a ex PC tester, I need to say , that Winblows , makes me crazy so IMAC-tually moving back to Mac ;)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I'm on the same boat as cminor. Looking forward to buy a Mac Mini. I must agree with Art at least for now. I can't say that I'm not impressed with those specs but it's not the hardware side of the question that frustrates me. It's Windows. I'm fed up with it. I got to give myself the chance to know some other way of doing things. My biggest difficulty will be to loose Sonar which I really enjoy. But I'l take the chance to to try something else.
cminor

Post by cminor »

VCO , I left Sonar when it was cakewalk and now I am not sorry that I do know Cubase , more then I know driving a car (maybe that's why I still can't take the licence) =))
That Studio, was made by a friend, who was unable to do anything at all by himself...
So all was bought and instaled by company.
All was original, and with licences.
The thing is that, he was afraid to have internet, or anything that could damage the OS.
Finally after 3 mounths of crashing, testing, going to the comapny that sold the gear, he got a Mac.
It was hard to understand and to work on it at first, but he was lucky to know cubase that is on PC and Mac too..
Just some pluggins and a device driver (some guitar pedal) that wasn't working...
THe rest? 100% compatible.
Now he's proud and load with a MacPro (laptop) everywhere he goes...
A good friend told me, about this studio:
"Maybe if he had a pirated windows, with all the software cracked, then it would work fine..."
=))
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Thanks for your comment. One thing I'm certain: I will NEVER be a Cubase user. I've tried it several times and never felt confortable with it. And, since Steinberg was bought by Yamaha, I start itching with the thought of it ;-)
Since I'm ready for switching, I'll go all the way with it and try Logic.
cminor

Post by cminor »

Good for you man, I like when some one is a real fan.
But why don't you try Dimension Pro 5 (made by Cakewalk / SOnar too for Mac)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I would definitely recommend GarageBand or Logic Express - trust me it will never leave you in need for more (except for new instruments and effects to fit your taste), and more importantly it will not throw too much stuff on you at the same time like typical Windows software does (tons of toolbars on half of the screen, whether you need them or not).
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Building a stable system with Windows is possible.

I'm actually convinced AppleCare has those memory erasing bling bling lights, like Men in Black. It seems even when your Mac breaks and you take it in for service, they are so pleasant that you don't even remember afterwards. It's really quite brilliant on their part.

Anyway, for those of you still stuck on your disgraceful windows machine.

http://www.blackviper.com

Don't believe the hype, the service manager and registry editor are your friends.

PS. I one click everything because it's on my desktop or two clicks from the taskbar. It's not a picture frame and applications need toolbars. Is everything buried beneath a fancy pants interface on a mac?