All Software Now!

Forums for Windows PC computers
madAhorn

All Software Now!

Post by madAhorn »

I think I am back to loving software. It has been years since I have even considered software syths for studio let alone live.

My Komplete 7 purchase has got me started and I don't think I will ever turn back.

I am so tired of only so, so acoustic sounds in hardware keyboards.

The next tax refund I think will go towards new computer hardware, Sample libraries and maybe a laptop.

;-)
MeNotU

Re: All Software Now!

Post by MeNotU »

Glad you're enjoying your purchase :)

Maybe you can help me here? I took note of your post and downloaded some freeware from the Komplete site, the player set: Kontakt4, Kore Player, Guitar Rig4, Reaktor5 - pretty cool for free.

Was hoping there would be a sequencer in that bunch, but from what I read, you still need your own sequencer - is that correct?

So your package is a huge collection of sounds and effects only? Is that right?

Sorry I'm vague on this, but so is their website, I watched a few promo vids but couldn't realy suss it out. They seem to assume knowledge, which doesn't help dummies like me understand the value here.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

these are software instruments so you will need something like Sonar or Cubase if you want to sequence them from/to midi tracks..

In the case of Sonar, Cakewalk will sell you a version from $50 to $300, and as you pay more you get more..mostly software instruments... several outstanding synths, pianos and drums typically, but also they add things like pattern and matrix seqeuncers, audio pitch shifting etc etc.. so if you are serious about this route the top end of the bundle is a better deal.. whether its cubase sonar or others.

if u just want a sequencer for no frills use with a fantom/juno, you can typically get one for free.
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

Tx Mystic, I have Sonar LE came with Juno - so I will see how I go. Although one of these programs won't run because I don't have an SSE2 processor capability or something - crikey - here we go, now it's a new PC, proper soundcard, more ram...

hmmm, my juno is working right now - cya lol.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

I have a 3 gig Pentium 4 which works good for me so far.

You do have to have a sequencer as stated.

I have an old expensive $1000.00 sound card from 10 years ago, but the asio latency settings are not so great.

So I am buying today a M-Audio Audiophile 192 card to speed things up for live playing / recording.
You have to have PCI expansion slots on your computer for this one.
Some people go with USB or Firewire.

We'll see how my little experiment goes...

I have always built my own PC's so my cost is not too huge to upgrade now and then.
But this P4 has been working great with no reason to upgrade yet....
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

OK my cost is creeping up on me...

$450.00 for Komplete 7

$150.00 M-Audio Audiophile 192

$150.00 for M-Audio V40 Computer Studio Monitors

I know there will be more...but at least these are all 6 month no interest though Buy.com!
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

Hmmm, your $1000 sound card obsolete, spending the price of a Juno-G on software and PC upgrade, and you're doing that cheaply.

Where have the proclaimers that 'hardware and workstations are dead' gone?

And you'll never ever quite know if it's realy managing to play all those samples in zero latency.

Good luck to you madahorn, I am not beating-up on you, just using this to illustrate that the 'soft-world' is not a eutopia.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

No it is not, but for Sampled Acoustic Instrumets it is...

My Yamaha DSP Factory sounds cards I spent 1K each on plus the out box's have been out of production for about 10 years...

The drivers are not that great. They still work, though and I will use them for mixdown, fx and monitoring at times...Powerful cards!

But, the live input latency for playing piano is not so great..
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

There's no doubting the sound ability from the demos I heard - I hope you will post something for us to hear very soon :)