Reason 5 sound card

Forums for Windows PC computers
ctimmerman

Reason 5 sound card

Post by ctimmerman »

I'm considering getting Reason 5. I've downloaded the demo and I like what I'm seeing so far. The only problem is latency. It's enough to hear when playing. I've tried adjusting the buffer size as per the help suggestions, but it doesn't seem to work as needed.
Can anyone recommend a decent sound card that might address the issue. I'm currently using a Dell Vostro 220 with just the on board sound card. Input is from a Fantom X via USB. I'll most likely get a small 25 or so key controller and run that through USB when I get ready to purchase the software. I just want to make sure I can address the latencey issue first.

Thanks

Carl
SammyJames

Re: Reason 5 sound card

Post by SammyJames »

Carl:

The first thing that you should do is download a better audio driver. Go to:

http://www.asio4all.com

And follow the instructions there to install it.

If you have the E7500 Core2Duo, then using ASIO4ALL will let you run audio software with low latency without causing major audio problems.

Remember that audio is processor-intensive; the sound card will NOT generate audio, unless you are describing a TDM system, available (pretty much) only on high-end systems such as those produced by Avid. Less-expensive professional sound cards do come with software that will improve your latency, but do so at the expense of forcing the processor to work harder.

ASIO4ALL does this as well, except that the hardware bus that shuttles audio to and from the Vostro's processor probably won't cause the CPU to work AS hard as it would were you to, say, use a PCI card. Your Dell probably features a Realtek interface that is wired to the mainboard. The makers of this technology never saw it as an ideal way to play back drum samples in real time -- nonetheless, it is possible to do.

Try ASIO4ALL first, and if you like the experience, then consider buying a PCI sound card or a USB audio interface with enough input channels to let you effectively play external instruments.

Also, you don't need to buy a second controller. The Fantom is 100% capable of functioning as a great MIDI controller, and since you have already connected it using USB, you might want to consider using just it. Adding another device won't complicate your life any less -- and in fact, might complicate it more.

Later.

- Sammy

http://www.sammyjames.com

P.S. I'm not being intentionally confusing here. There are things about computer audio that even I fail to understand. However, one thing is clear: After having worked with computers for a lifetime, I can tell you that technology is oversold. This isn't to say that you definitely don't need a better sound card or interface -- it's just that you might not.
ctimmerman

Post by ctimmerman »

Thanks Sammy.
It does make it better, but I can still hear a slight delay. I also spoke to someone I know pretty well at my local music store, and he suggested and external audio device, which is what he uses with Reason. I'll most likely go with that route and he'll help me get it setup. An external would work well as it would also give me the ability to go betweem my laptop and my desktop.

Carl
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Carl:

Sure. Now, don't forget that the ASIO4ALL has settings. Depending on your setup, you might have to open Reason and look under some menu to find the ASIO4ALL control panel. Once there, move the buffer slider toward the left -- thus decreasing the buffer size, and thus bringing the latency down.

If you've already done that and you still have latency problems, then you will probably need to buy an audio interface like you suggested. It does make sense to go with an external device for the purpose that you stated, using it with multiple computers.

- Sammy
ctimmerman

Post by ctimmerman »

So I go back into Reason today, without making any additional setting changes like I did last night after installing ASIO4ALL, and just like magic, the latency is gone.

Weird.

And no, the computer has not been restarted.

Carl
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Carl:

That is excellent news. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm happy that this worked out for you. Good luck, and keep us posted on your musical progress.

- Sammy

P.S. Not all software requires a restart of your PC. However, most programs do need to be quit and reopened to take advantage of system changes. You seemed to indicate that you had shut Reason down, and had opened it back up. Barring a minor miracle, it would surprise me to learn that you hadn't at least done that.