Cubase Total Recall

Forums for Windows PC computers
Andy Keys

Cubase Total Recall

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi,

I tried searching for this, but the forum search function doesn't seem to be working.

Has anyone used the Total Recall function in Cubase to get details of all their synth Patches etc into Cubase?

If so, could you talk me through it, please? I'm struggling to get it to work.

Many thanks
Andy
SammyJames

Re: Cubase Total Recall

Post by SammyJames »

Andy:

Sorry mate -- I keep on misreading your post. I believe that you are trying to use external synths to see patch names in Cubase. This isn't that tough to do -- you need to go to the Devices menu and click on MIDI Device Manager. That menu is a bit convoluted, but you can probably figure out how to add new instruments, set up patch lists, and manage them.

To see the patches for a particular device after it has been added there, use the left-hand control panel in Cubase in the track view. Create a MIDI track, and you will then see some black rectangluar boxes at the left.

There is an input routing box, an Instrument box, and a Patch list box. Each works as a drop-down list that you use with your mouse.

I hope that this helps. Don't be shy about telling me if I missed completely what you are trying to do.

- Sammy

P.S. There is no "Total Recall" entry in the Cubase 4 Operation Manual. You are probably confusing the above information with what is called "Workspaces." To use them, start by opening a project and arranging the windows on the desktop to your liking.

Next, go to "Window | Workspaces >" and click "Lock Active Workspace." Now, if you move windows around and want to go back to your original view, just go back to Window and click on the "Window.1" entry. You can also organize Workspaces and rename them, in which case the active workspace will change from "Window.1" to whatever name you choose.

Again, you probably weren't referring to this, although it is a useful feature.

P.P.S. A lot of modern synths aren't represented in the Devices list. Steinberg seemed to have stopped adding new ones after Roland XP-10 -- so you will most likely have to set up your own, or search the Internet to find device lists for whatever synths you own. You MIGHT have one or two of the keyboards listed there, so read through the list first. (It is under "MIDI Device Manager | Add MIDI Device."