Using CUBASE 5 with a Roland R-70

Forums for Windows PC computers
MEFlyingV

Using CUBASE 5 with a Roland R-70

Post by MEFlyingV »

Hello everyone. Newbie to the Clan here. I hope this was the best Roland forum to post this.

I have been using Cubase for awhile now, but never used anything related to MIDI in Cubase. Until now, so I hope someone can help.

In the 90's I programmed a ton of music using my Roland R-70 drum machine. Besides MIDI bulk dumps to my PDC-100 sequencer (with a floppy disk), about the only thing I figured out how to do with MIDI was to record my R-70 song data to the PDC-100, then use the PDC-100 as master to the R-70 slave to play songs back. So I had figured out the transmit/recieve settings at the time, then never had to bother again.

So now it is late 2010 and I want to move those MIDI sequences to Cubase. Yesterday I purchased an M-Audio MidiSport Uno MIDI to USB interface, and Cubase seems to recognize it.

I followed the directions in the Cubase manual as best I could (as best I could interpret) and also tried changing some settings on the R-70. But I can't seem to get it to work. I don't see the notes getting recorded, and I don't hear any sounds (even though I did try assigning sounds in Cubase).

Is anyone familiar with using the R-70 and Cubase together that can give me an idiots / newbie's detailed guide for getting this to work?

I am running the latest version of Cubase 5 on a Window 7 Laptop.

Thank you very much in advance....
MEFlyingV

Re: Using CUBASE 5 with a Roland R-70

Post by MEFlyingV »

Hold the presses! I got the Midi to record into Cubase! I made a lightly different setting in the MIDI track, used ALL MIDI INPUTS and set the channel to 10. So now I just need to associate sounds within Cubase so that I can hear the drums. Yes I realize these sounds will be different than the ones in the R-70.
MEFlyingV

Post by MEFlyingV »

OK I got the MIDI to record and associated a Halion Kit with it for playback. But the bass guitar inside the MIDI channel isn't part of the Halion Kit, So I assume i need to separate the teo out somehow? Put the BASS on one midi track and drums on anoither. I assume i need to assign the Bass to a separate MIDI channel from the drums?
MEFlyingV

Post by MEFlyingV »

MIDI update. Drum MIDI from the R-70 is recording into CUBASE ok. The bass however is making simply a "pinging" sound. High pitched like a click sound. No change of notes, etc. This is occuring when I am simply playing a bass line with the R-70. Not a mix of bass and drums. Any ideas out there?

Its almost like Cubase doesn't recognize that it is a polyphoinic signal.

I assume Polyphonic is like a keyboard signal, where the notes change in pitch, and monophonic is like a drum kit. Sorry if I am misspeaking.