Connecting mixer to PC

Forums for Windows PC computers
Linkmaster_96

Connecting mixer to PC

Post by Linkmaster_96 »

Ok, so i've just got my mixer and today i was doin some test recordings with my TD9 with a backing track from my ipod, and after i finished recording, i took a look at the recording and it sounds horrible, the quality is nothing like what is coming from the mixer, and i know this because i plugged my headphones into the exact same jack as where it connects to the PC and it sounds as good as it did when i was recording. So i know its how im connecting the mixer to the PC. Right now its connected to PC through a stereo headphones jack on the mixer with a 1/4" to 1/8" converter, which is connected to the mic input on the motherboard of the PC.
So i went looking for some other way to connect the mixer to the PC, prefereably through a 1/4" jack on a soundcard, but they are SO expensive.
So what would any of you people suggest i have a look at, i just one an easy cheap way to get my mixer connected, also, i only have PCI slots, not PCI-Express, so its probably better to get a USB soundcard or something like that, i have USB 2.0 by the way ;p
Thanx anyway
SammyJames

Re: Connecting mixer to PC

Post by SammyJames »

"i took a look at the recording and it sounds horrible"

Well, that's your first problem -- you must listen to the recording to determine its quality. Looking at it won't get you very good results...

:D

(I'm just having some fun.)

Seriously though -- you mention that you have both PCI slots and USB 2.0 ports. You can try one of two different types of products:

- A USB audio interface. Roland/Cakewalk/Edirol make some nice ones that you can probably find at any music store.

- A PCI audio card. M-Audio makes the 2496 and the Delta Audiophile 192. They are both good, and are reasonably-priced. The 2496 is about a hundred bucks.

Enjoy.

- Sammy
I AM

Post by I AM »

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/hardware/default.aspx?...
and better
http://www.cakewalk.com/products/hardware/default.aspx?...

one more, headphone out to mic in.... was the levels set properly?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

one more, headphone out to mic in.... was the levels set properly?

exactly... Headphones out connected to PC's MIC input? Not good at all. Levels, imPedance, etc, a complete mismatch. You should use An Áudio capture device.