Mac guy thinking about a new PC just to run Cakewalk.

Forums for Windows PC computers
DJ RAZZ

Mac guy thinking about a new PC just to run Cakewalk.

Post by DJ RAZZ »

I am thinking about using a PC laptop to run Cakewalk. I want to use my new Juno Gi as a full workstation and audio interface. Once I get that figured out, I will build on this with proper Pres, Mics and monitors. Just want to start recording again but want a DAW that I can stick with. I am a past Cubase 4 and Garageband user but never made it to Logic. Used Cakewalk a long time ago for SMF's and loved it but that was another era. Help with Laptop brand recommendations. Need 8 GB RAM, atleast 2.5 processor, dual core i5, 7200 RPM's, DVD DRIVE, USB 2.0 and maybe Firewire and 250GB hardrive. 13 INCH screen preferred and 64 bit.

Thanks
dbijoux

Re: Mac guy thinking about a new PC just to run Cakewalk.

Post by dbijoux »

If I were in your shoes I'd be looking at Logic or Cubase given your past experience with it. I don't believe there is any special integration you'll see between Sonar and the Juno-Gi that isn't possible there too.

I have yet to find what I consider a worthy laptop today for a reasonable price. You might want to seriously consider a desktop and dual display. If you check out the cakewalk forums, you'll hear that X1 really takes up the screen(s).
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

If you check out the cakewalk forums, you'll hear that X1 really takes up the screen(s).
THe X1 interface is amazing! The trick is to get used-to using it's Multi-dock feature.
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

What do you guys me by multi deck and the need for multiple screens?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I'll diverge to Piaknowguy for a proper multidock explanation, he owns it, but by multiple screens I mean just that. Two Monitors [__][__] side by side. One for tracking, one for mixing/plugins, etc.

I'm not sure a 13" laptop screen would be so pleasureable. I actually don't know how people even use cubase or logic on those little macs either. :\
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

OK thanks. That's what I thought you guys meant by multiple screens and you get used to the one screen I always hook up my 27inch flat screen for more real-estate. Also thanks for being so respectful in your responses. I am not used to this coming from other synth forums.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

of course...all of us unwashed who use PC's for music production must stick together! :D
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

DJ RAZZ wrote:... Also thanks for being so respectful in your responses. I am not used to this coming from other synth forums.
That's one of the main differences between Roland Clan and the others!! ;-)
Cheers,