Windows 10 / Octa capture / ableton 11 POPS! CRACKLES! DROPOUTS!

Forums for Windows PC computers
fingertipsaint

Windows 10 / Octa capture / ableton 11 POPS! CRACKLES! DROPOUTS!

Post by fingertipsaint »

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz 3.80 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home 20H2

Ableton 11
Octa-capture

Hi

I've just switched from Mac to PC but my Octa-Capture is causing (or being affected by) dropouts and loud crackles.
I've used the OC for over ten years and never had a problem.

I've noticed that the Midi track indicator flashes at the same time as the dropout.

I've been through all the 'preparing windows for audio' instructions from various sites.
I've used latencymon and whysoslow and they both tell me everything is completely fine.
It happens on full projects and empty projects.
I've reinstalled all relevant drivers.
I've been through every buffer setting. In fact every setting on the control panel.

I thought it was a PC problem at first but then I plugged in a Presonus AudioBox iOne and it works perfectly.

I wrote to Roland and was advised to do all the things I've set out above. It's deeply frustrating.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Martin.
GMayle

Re: Windows 10 / Octa capture / ableton 11 POPS! CRACKLES! DROPOUTS!

Post by GMayle »

I would say it's most likely to be the driver for the Octa capture, its settings perhaps. If you're new to PC? then are you using Asio4All? If you have this installed, check its buffer/cache/bitrate settings, get the latest version. It doesn't sound like a hardware fault. Or...The W10 driver is automatically installed when you have an internet connection. Disconnect from internet, go to Device Manager in W10, find Octa driver in the list, remove it, you'll see an exclamation mark appear in the list, reconnect internet, right click exclamation mark and choose Update Driver (this will reinstall it). Next, launch Ableton, in the Audio settings, check the Octa device is shown, check the bitrate is compatible with your Ableton settings. Check Asio4All version is up to date and check its bitrate compared to the Octa device. I've had similar problems on many input devices, its nearly always the bitrate, ASIO settings or driver. Hope this helps