PK-5 vs PK-5A

Everything else from Roland that doesn't fit elsewhere
jumbojock

PK-5 vs PK-5A

Post by jumbojock »

Can someone please tell me the difference (if any) between the PK-5 and the PK-5A midi pedals?

Thank you.

All the best

jj
TonyC

Re: PK-5 vs PK-5A

Post by TonyC »

I have a PK-7 and have a similar question about the 7A. Looking through the manuals the only difference I can find is that it is much easier to change the midi channel with the A. My PK-7 transmits on midi channel 2 and it is a pain to change it. You have to hold down the bottom C note and the hold pedal at opposite ends of the board and then with a surgically implanted third hand you have to turn the unit on!
You have to do this every time because it forgets and defaults back to ch. 2 every time you turn it off.
I midi my PK-7 into my fantom X7 so I have now just set up midi channel 2 to be the bass in every Performance set-up which works fine.
The PK-7A has midi channel and octave shift knobs on the back which could have been useful in the past but I don't need these features now.
Horse Attack Mark

Re: PK-5 vs PK-5A

Post by Horse Attack Mark »

TonyC -

How's that 3rd hand thing working out for you? That is a funny post, although you did give a bunch of good info too. I'm going to get a PK-5. I don't care too much about having to change channels, as long as It will drive my MIDI unit consistently producing a cool bass sound. I have a couple of 80's MIDI units that I hope will get me where I want to be. I play guitar and keyboard and want to fire my bass player (kidding), SO I am looking forward to experimenting with being both guys. At one time I had a B-3 but I was never trained on the pedals. I think that I'll be OK. Will let you know how my experiment turns out.

GOOD DAY!