Sound Canvas SC-88 Hang ups

Everything else from Roland that doesn't fit elsewhere
HarryT

Sound Canvas SC-88 Hang ups

Post by HarryT »

Hello,

I have a problem with the SC-88 Sound Canvas. After i upgraded my pc to a dual core system, the SC-88 keeps randomly hanging up. In the music software (Cubase or Logic) the song is still playing but the only sound through the Canvas is a long hanging beep. I have to turn the SC-88 off and on again and restart Logic/Cubase to get it working again. After that, the hanging repeats.
When i play the song through the onboard audio (realtek) there are no problems whatsoever.

What could this problem be? On an older pc it worked fine.
I hope someone has an idea.
GSPro

Re: Sound Canvas SC-88 Hang ups

Post by GSPro »

Sounds like you are on a mac.
If yes, update Logic and Cubase to the latest updates of that version. If you have a midi interface, update those drivers too and of course your system software.

Usually issues like that have to do with the apps and/or drivers, not the Sound Modules.

Hope it helps
HarryT

Post by HarryT »

Thank you for your reply.

I am on a pc, not a mac (i wish i was) :). The Logic software is an old version (5.1) which is also for the pc.

I updated all the drivers to the newest versions, except for the SC-88 driver, i only can find 1 driver that dates from the year 2000. (Maybe there are other drivers that i can use for the SC-88?)

Could it be a conflict with the Realtek onboard sound card and/or its drivers, because the older pc didn't have a Realtek chipset and then it works fine.

I also tried Cubase 5 but for some reason i cant get the canvas to work 100% properly. In SX3 it works good except for the hang ups. :(
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

It could be a conflict with the Realtek.

Let me ask this:
Why do you have the SC-88 drivers installed? To call the patch list through you sequencer?
HarryT

Post by HarryT »

No, just for the pc to recognize the Canvas. Could it work without the driver too?

I have to make a note that these problems occur to my father in law who is a musician, i upgraded his pc and only have knowledge of the pc, so i really dont know what a patch list through the sequencer is. Sorry for that.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Ok. It sounds like you need the drivers so the sequencer can read the patches.

Just hand in there for a few. Let me search for a text file for you to use in cubase. Hold on
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

OK never mind.
Lets see if we can do this.

Can you run a midi cable from the "In" of the SC to the "Out" of the midi interface?

If yes, you should be able to open Cubase and look for a patch List for the SC-88. It should come preinstalled already with Cubase. If I'm not mistaken the file it's a text file. From here on out, you should not need the SC-88 drivers anymore.

I have 3 SC-8850 and none of them have drivers installed. I just assign the sequence from the DAW by selecting the SC8850 pathclist to the SC-8850 module.
If you don't have a midi interface, you could get one pretty cheap for about 60-70 dollars. Maybe less.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Also check the midi cables
HarryT

Post by HarryT »

I just had my father law on the phone and he said he doesn't have a midi interface because the module is connected to the com port of the pc?

Tomorrow i wil try to uninstall the driver (if this is possible) and check to see if i can open this patch list in Cubase. Also i will look for a shop which sells a midi to usb cable to exclude that the problem is in the midi-cable.

I will post again tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your time, it is really appreciated by me and my father in law.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

No problem HarryT.

Let me know how it goes
HarryT

Post by HarryT »

Ok, the problem was the driver indeed . The Roland sc-88 driver isn't good. I tried it first in Logic 5 but because there is no patch list present (or i can't find it) it didn't see a midi device. After i installed a Yamaha driver (http://www.global.yamaha.com/download/c ... index.html) it works flawless in Logic, no more hangups! The only thing, is that the SC-88 now only works with 16 channels instead of 32. This no major problem because my father in law can work with it again and he just loves Logic.

I didn't test it on Cubase yet, but i will do that soon if i have some more time.

I am very happy to find a solution with your help, GSPro. I will post my experiences with Cubase a couple of days later.

Thanks again!
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Hello HarryT.
Yes, this is one issue with old SC drivers no longer being updated. They are nice modules though and still going.

Glad you did find some sort of a solution and still be able to use it.
DataJohan

Post by DataJohan »

Hi fellow 8850 owners.

I bought a SC-8850 Second hand about 7 years ago. It is doing excellent service together with a Yamaha KX-88 keyboard as a practice piano for my daughters.

Just found out that there exists a GS Advanced Editor to it! Does any of you happen to have a copy of that?

A ZIP file of the content could easily be transferred over Internet in some way.

I would be happy to pay you something for the effort!

Best Regards from Sweden

/Johan