Roland Juno DS88 USB Audio?

Everything else from Roland that doesn't fit elsewhere
yamahaforums

Roland Juno DS88 USB Audio?

Post by yamahaforums »

Got the Roland Juno DS88 a few days ago and seem to be having an issue getting the audio via usb working. didn't see a section for the DS on the forum so thought I would ask here.

I have the Roland driver installed. Have set the keyboard to use 'vendor' rather than generic but still can't get it to work. I did check with Roland that it should work and they assured me it should so I can't figure out why it's not happening.

Running a Mac with OS X 10.11.1

Thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone has come across a similar problem and knows how to fix it?

Thanks
BigDawgsByte

Re: Roland Juno DS88 USB Audio?

Post by BigDawgsByte »

Did you get this resolved? I have a DS88 and OS X 10.10.5 but I use my iConnectivityAudio4+ to get the audio into my Mac. I can give the USB a try if you are still having a problem?
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Still no luck with it unfortunately, although I did notice the other day when using headphones that sound is coming "in" to the keyboard from the mac so half the audio interface is at least doing something.

What I don't get is, when I had the Yamaha MOXF which also has a usb audio/midi interface I could just hook that up, select it as the input/output and that was it, job done. With the DS88 it seems to be a little more convoluted.

By the way I also tested it on a pc running WIndows 10 but same result. Either I am missing an important step or this "audio" interface doesn't work in the way one would assume it should?

If you can give it a try it would be appreciated :)
BigDawgsByte

Post by BigDawgsByte »

Ok, I'll give it a shot in the next couple of days. Its something I want to look at even though I already a good sound interface.

If you get a moment and are interested in it I put a post in the "Board index->Community->Roland Clan site and forum" called "How about a Juno DS forum?" asking for a separate Juno DS forum for DS owners like ourselves. I'm thinking the more who add to the request the sooner its likely to happen.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Thanks for that. I did try again but no luck.

I do have a section for the DS61, DS88 and XPS30 over on my own forum however as we are not 'Roland' specific it may not get the same traffic as it would on here. Still, useful to have though :)
BigDawgsByte

Post by BigDawgsByte »

Hi,

Just tried it and had no problems on my Mac Book Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5. Got two channels into Logic Pro X with zero issues. Worked first try.

Can you see the Juno-DS in the "Audio-MIDI Setup" tool's audio and MIDI windows?
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

I have it hooked up to Mackie Traktion at the moment. I can see the audio is going in but not getting anything out of my monitors. Must be missing something.

With the MOXF you don't actually need any software. It works as your computers audio in/out for everything so you can play on the keyboard and the sound comes out of the monitors without needing to go through a DAW.
hugh

Post by hugh »

Have someone find a solution to this? I cant get sound from Juno ds. I can see Juno in AudioMidi setup.
I think I am missing something. Can someone give me a step by step guide?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (mid 2012)
OSx El Capitan v 10.11.5
JUNO DS61
DAW: Studio One 3 (presonus)
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

I never did find a solution to this problem so like hugh I would still be interested to hear from anyone who solved it, never had the problem or knows if it is something that was never fixed?
OBINNO

Post by OBINNO »

Hi, I'm using a juno-ds61 in midi mode and am having the same issue. I'm using it with a pc with windows xp and sonar. I'm getting midi data through but no audio. Was this ever resolved?
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

It seems not and it's a real shame because the DS is a great keyboard. Unfortunately the DS88 I was using was on loan from Roland for a review so I had to reluctantly send it back. I'm just surprised that when I raised the issue with them they didn't try to find out what was causing it or reply to me.

I will get in touch with them now and see if they can shed any more light on the issue.
OBINNO

Post by OBINNO »

Well, I'm having the same issue with another roland keyboard that I just purchased, the E-A7 arranger. Since I can't use any usb drivers for windows xp, I'm using it in midi mode...and same issue. data, but no audio. I'm beginning to think that this a roland issue, because I recently was using an older xv5080 with a midi interface and a midi controller and had no issues what so ever. This seems to be an issue with their new keyboards, then?
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

If your using Windows XP I think that is probably not helping. As far as I am aware there are no Juno DS drivers for Windows XP. Also have you updated the firmware on your DS to 1.06? I'm not sure when that was released but there are quite a few changes in it.

Again there are no Windows XP drivers for the E-A7...fantastic keyboard by the way!

I have written to my contact at Roland but he's out of the office until tomorrow so will let you know if I hear back from him then.
OBINNO

Post by OBINNO »

Right, no xp drivers, but I should be able to use the keyboard through midi and set the usb driver in the keyboard to 'generic.' Shouldn't I? Thank you, I'm Even Roland confirmed that, but are they wrong? also gonna contact Roland today. This is a pretty serious issue for me because it's pretty much my lively hood...also, I'm blind, and I've already spent money in having sighted help setting the proper configurations for both keyboards.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Certainly you should be able to use midi however if there is no XP driver this may affection functionality to some extent. I think it depends on what your trying to do?