DIGITAL MIXER M16DX; Weird Gain Structure

Everything else from Roland that doesn't fit elsewhere
StuMur

DIGITAL MIXER M16DX; Weird Gain Structure

Post by StuMur »

Hi All,

I have an old Edirol ROland M16DX 16-channel digital mixer. I'm having troubles understanding the gain structure on the individual mic channels vs what's being reported on the main output meters.

I use this desk purely as a very portable small desk for my live band gigs - not used for studio stuff (much too "hissy" for that!?!). So anyways, I'm simply just trying to set my vocal mic input gain (on channel 3) to a fairly strong signal, but easily below clipping. On the screen, I have a level that runs about halfway up the screen before clipping, which is great. But then, as I have the "SOLO" button engaged (to watch the level in the main meters, which should be about the same), it peaks out at superhigh, between +10 and +22db above 0. Surely that can't be right?

Does anyone out there have this desk? Which reading is accurate, and which one's not? And why is there such a huge difference? Based on the main meters, even when I turn the mic channel sensitivity (gain knob) down to the absolute minimum, I still get a main meter reading above zero. The 4 mic sens switches on the back of the unit are all set to standard - not optimised - that's WAY worse - optimised makes it redline with NO gain applied..!

So am I doing something wrong here? None of my other desks react this way - soloing is reflected accurately on both the main outs and the channel gain meter.

Thanks Very Much,
StuMur