Urgent help RD64 vs FP30

Everything else from Roland that doesn't fit elsewhere
radicalgel

Urgent help RD64 vs FP30

Post by radicalgel »

I'm looking to buy a hammer action MIDI keyboard and I've shortlisted these. From what I've read PHA 4 - Standard on the FP30 is supposed to be an improvement on the Ivory G on the RD64. The FP30 also has 2 more octaves of keys, more sounds and speakers. So I'm wondering why it's considerably cheaper the the RD64? Can anyone here help me pick one over the other. Unfortunately there's nowhere in the city I live in where I can go and try both out. I have however play the RD64 and really like the feel.
radicalgel

Re: Urgent help RD64 vs FP30

Post by radicalgel »

Truly overwhelmed by the number of responses to my question. Thank you so much guys!
howardS

Post by howardS »

Well, the first question is do you want 88 keys or do you want something smaller. I have an RD700nx and picked up an RD64 for smaller gigs or jams where 88 keys just take up too much room. Obviously that's a personal question you need to answer as none of us here can help you decide which size is best for you. Also, I think you need to try out the FP30 though to make sure you like the sounds on it. I haven't tried the FP30 yet but they were blowing out the FP20 last year at a local music store so I was considering it but couldn't stand the piano sound.
radicalgel

Post by radicalgel »

howardS wrote:Well, the first question is do you want 88 keys or do you want something smaller. I have an RD700nx and picked up an RD64 for smaller gigs or jams where 88 keys just take up too much room. Obviously that's a personal question you need to answer as none of us here can help you decide which size is best for you. Also, I think you need to try out the FP30 though to make sure you like the sounds on it. I haven't tried the FP30 yet but they were blowing out the FP20 last year at a local music store so I was considering it but couldn't stand the piano sound.
Hey thanks for the response. I went with the RD64 for multiple reasons. Namely, I had tried it and really liked it, has dedicated line out ports and multiple pedal ports, midi out, more compact and portable and IMO looks better. :)
howardS

Post by howardS »

Great. Enjoy your RD64. There is a compromise in size here but I think it is a decent trade-off for portability.
radicalgel

Post by radicalgel »

howardS wrote:Great. Enjoy your RD64. There is a compromise in size here but I think it is a decent trade-off for portability.
Thanks Howard. Since you have the RD64 I thought I'd clear a minor doubt that I have. I'm primarily using this as a midi controller in my studio and I can't seem to get it to work without the power cable connected. I know for sure that the A88 is bus powered but I can't find any info saying the RD64 isn't. From my current tinkering it looks like it isn't USB bus powered and always requires AC power but I just wanted to check with someone who owns one if this is in fact true?
howardS

Post by howardS »

Hey there, radicalgel. I assume it is not bus powered and always needs to be plugged in.
radicalgel

Post by radicalgel »

howardS wrote:Hey there, radicalgel. I assume it is not bus powered and always needs to be plugged in.
Thanks