Boss RC-505: Input Level INST knob question

Everything else from Roland that doesn't fit elsewhere
geeman

Boss RC-505: Input Level INST knob question

Post by geeman »

Hi, can't fathom why the INPUT LEVEL - INSTR knob of my Boss RC-505 doesn't work to vary the input signal from a stereo keyboard into the 505's twin jacks. Turning the INST level knob has no effect. OTOH, the MIC level knob works fine.

Similar situation with the mini stereo AUX input. Turning knob doesn't do anything, so the volume needs to be adjusted at the source instrument, rather than using the 505's INPUT LEVEL INST knob to adjust the volume.

Hoping this will be an user error in the Setting Up department. Would appreciate any tips, thank-you
Electribe_noodler

Re: Boss RC-505: Input Level INST knob question

Post by Electribe_noodler »

That's very strange... The Inst Level knob has always worked for me for the L/R instrument inputs. If you turn it all the way up with your keyboard making a sound, does the level light come on, showing the signal getting too loud?

The AUX does is not affected by the knobs, this is by design.

You can map the Inst level to a MIDI channel, if the RC505 had a previous owner, maybe that was what happened and it's overriding the knob? Try going to a fresh phrase or looking in the controller assignments. Failing that, check your firmware (are you on 2.0?).
geeman

Re: Boss RC-505: Input Level INST knob {RESOLVED}

Post by geeman »

[/b]
Electribe_noodler wrote:That's very strange... The Inst Level knob has always worked for me for the L/R instrument inputs. If you turn it all the way up with your keyboard making a sound, does the level light come on, showing the signal getting too loud?

The AUX does is not affected by the knobs, this is by design.

You can map the Inst level to a MIDI channel, if the RC505 had a previous owner, maybe that was what happened and it's overriding the knob? Try going to a fresh phrase or looking in the controller assignments. Failing that, check your firmware (are you on 2.0?).
Much obliged, Electribe_noodler, for your full response.

"...If you turn it all the way up with your keyboard making a sound, does the level light come on, showing the signal getting too loud?..." Nope, no peaking light shows when knob turned full on and playing loud music.

"...The AUX does is not affected by the knobs, this is by design..." Whoops! Thanks for that: missed that info on page 6 of manual.

"...You can map the Inst level to a MIDI channel, if the RC505 had a previous owner, maybe that was what happened and it's overriding the knob?

Bit lost on MIDI Mapping stuff tbh. Using a pair of Boss FS-5U pedals for Record / Play and Undo / Redo which suits me nicely. Possibly the previous owner did do MIDI dabbling, although I did a full factory reset when I got it, and installed the 2.0 update.

Yes, will try other memories and looking again at controller assignments. Thanks again.

UPDATE 23.11.2017 Resolved! The fault was my User Error, had set the MASTER - MEMORY LEVEL too low. LEVEL INST knob now functioning and shows a peaking warning light, just like the MIC LEVEL knob.

thanks for your help, Electribe_noodler