Card readers for the Roland MC-80? (Internal IDE)

Everything else from Roland that doesn't fit elsewhere
epu

Card readers for the Roland MC-80? (Internal IDE)

Post by epu »

I know this is a long shot, but is there a list of compatible SD or CF card readers for the MC80? It's been out of production for 20 years, I know. The MC80 has an IDE connection, but not all IDE card readers are compatible. There are hints from past threads and comments online. For example, on VintageSynth, they mention this one:

1. Syncrotech PCM-CR-IDIMUL $51.00

This is the comment from VintageSynth

"Mc-80 still the best sequencer.
Hard drive caddies are not available from roland
anymore. NO PROBLEM [synchrotech .inc]213-368-3760 has a IDE 6 in 1
card reader. item # PCM-CR-IDIMUL $51.00
I have 3 of them. They will work in any unit
that uses IDE drive as it is a plug and play.
Backups are a breeze with computer with card reader. They work much better than Zips which
are being phased out."

Anyone successfully using an internal card reader with the Roland MC80? If so, which one are you using?
SynthGraphics

Re: Card readers for the Roland MC-80? (Internal IDE)

Post by SynthGraphics »

Hello, I see this is an older post but are you still looking for info how to make this work? If so, I recently installed two options in my MC-80 and both worked 100%. I can give you full details if you want?

-Jamie
epu

Post by epu »

Hi. I ended up buying an SCSI2SD Mini Drive and have it connected to the SCSI port on the MC80. Works like a charm.

That said, I am interested in your solutions. What did you come up with? (Thanks for responding)
dhm75

Post by dhm75 »

Hi everyone.
I have installed a brand new CF Card drive and connected as required but the drive is not recognized by my MC80.
I have tryied all possible combinations for the Jumper settings,also with or without power cable connection ....but the drive is not recognized.
I disconnected my working ZIP drive and connected the CF Card Drive using the same cables.
Can anyone help me here please? very much appreciated.
regards dhm75
bbrich

Post by bbrich »

SynthGraphics wrote: 00:12, 30 December 2022 Hello, I see this is an older post but are you still looking for info how to make this work? If so, I recently installed two options in my MC-80 and both worked 100%. I can give you full details if you want?

-Jamie
Hi Jamie. I'm definitely interested in how you made it work. I've tried an IDE to Dual CF Adapter in my MC-80. I've connected it using the Roland caddie but it wasn't seen by the MC-80 so I then tried connecting it directly to the main board using the ribbon cable that connects to the caddie. I tried that with 'power' and without 'power', neither worked. Since then I've started to suspect the CF Cards themselves. Somewhere online I've read that we need 'Industrial' CF Cards. I'd be grateful if you could take me through your setup.
dhm75

Post by dhm75 »

Hello Jamie,
i read with great interest and "Hope" your post.
Could you send any pics showing the way you're connecting the CF card reader? Greatly appreciated .

regards dhm75.
bbrich

Post by bbrich »

epu wrote: 13:39, 7 January 2023 Hi. I ended up buying an SCSI2SD Mini Drive and have it connected to the SCSI port on the MC80. Works like a charm.

That said, I am interested in your solutions. What did you come up with? (Thanks for responding)
Could I ask you where you got the SCSI2 SD Mini Drive? Thanks.
epu

Post by epu »

bbrich wrote: 18:06, 11 January 2023
Could I ask you where you got the SCSI2 SD Mini Drive? Thanks.
From Sampler Zone - https://samplerzone.com/products/scsi2s ... g-in-drive
bbrich

Post by bbrich »

Thanks for the info.