SP404 MKII help.

Everything else from Roland that doesn't fit elsewhere
DJ_AlkemyUK

SP404 MKII help.

Post by DJ_AlkemyUK »

I'm new to the SP404 MKII, and have a couple f questions.

So, I produce on another setup, at home, and the reason I got the SP404 MKII, is I have a band that I'm part of, and my main job is to trigger samples/scratch on turntables etc, along with the live band.

So, when we go to practice, sometimes, instead of bringing my usual setup (turntables/MPD etc) I want to just bring the SP404 MKII.

I have all my samples, as well as the drum beat, for all the tracks, on my SD Card. I know how to load the samples, and load them on the individual pads. What I want to know is:

1: Is it possible to load one track's worth of samples onto the pads, then save it? To load the samples, from the SD card, to the pads, takes a little time, so if we are doing 9, 10, 11 tracks, I don't wanna break the momentum between tracks, I don't want the band waiting for my SP404 to load the next tracks samples every time. I ideally would like to load track number 1's samples onto the pads, save that project, load up track number 2's samples, save that project etc etc, then, be able to switch between projects with relative ease, while we are in practise sessions. Is this possible?

2: Can I set volume levels for each individual pad, so say, track 1's samples, have 4 samples in total, on each pad, they play at the same volume, but I'd like to change the volume on each one, so that one isn't much louder/quieter than the other. And again, is there a way to set that, and then save it, so I don't have to modify it every time we are rehearsing that particular track?.

I have looked through a load of YouTube videos, and can't really find the information I need, so any help would be greatly appreeciated.

Thanks.
essp404

Re: SP404 MKII help.

Post by essp404 »

hey, sorry for being late to the party... just in case it is still relevent...
1, it will depend on how many samples you need for each song but it can be done. the 404 mk2 is kind of a persistent developing environment so as you load samples to the pads they will saty there untill you either delete them, clear the bank or delete the project.
so work out if you only need one bank of 16 pads for each song... that will be one project for all 10. or do you need 32 samples per song... in which case you can spread it over 2 projects... good news is you can hold 16 projects on the device and export and import entire projects to and from the SD card.

2 oh and yeah you can set the volume for each pad... is it the pitch/speed button that has that option under it

hope that helps