Recording an MP3 on Edirol R-1

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
hrstruggle

Recording an MP3 on Edirol R-1

Post by hrstruggle »

I've been using my Edirol R-1 for less than a month but was excited to know that I could record my audio in MP3 format and import it directly over to my PC computer via a USB cable.

Everything worked fine except for when I opened up the file in my audio editing program, Cool Edit 2000. It would not recognize the file as an MP3 file. Cool Edit will import it but the audio file does not resemble what I recorded at all. It seems to not recognize the MP3 format. I can tell because when I'm choosing the file to be opened in Cool Edit, usually you click on a file and it displays what format the file is, what compression rate and other metrics about the file.

I can bring in files recorded as WAV files. That works fine.

However, WAV files take up a lot more space and I need the option of being able to record in MP3.

I'm still not sure if this is an equipment problem or a software problem.

Ideas?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Recording an MP3 on Edirol R-1

Post by Artemiy »

Well, I never had this problem, R-1's MP3 files are standard. Please try opening the MP3 in a player like QuickTime or Windows Media, if it works there then Cool Edit's MP3 importer is not behaving itself well ;-)
hrstruggle

QT and WMP Work

Post by hrstruggle »

I tried playing an MP3 recorded on my R-1 in Windows Media Player and Quicktime Player and they both work.

Other ideas?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Well this means Cool Edit is not that a good editor ;-) Try free ones like Audacity.
hrstruggle

Post by hrstruggle »

I can't load Audacity because it requires WinXP. I'm running W2K and I'm not upgrading for this one thing.

It shouldn't matter anyways, especially since Adobe bought the Cool Edit Suite and turned it into Audacity. In other words, all Audacity is is a suped-up Cool Edit . . .

Thanks for your replies though . . .

Anyone know of a free audio editor that may be able to read these files in so I can convert them into something Cool Edit can use?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

No, no, you are confusing Audacity and Audition. Audition is, yes, a development of Cool Edit after it was bought off by Adobe. But Audacity is a free audio editor: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
hrstruggle

Post by hrstruggle »

Oh yeah, you're right. I do that all the time. OK, I'll try Audacity. Thanks.