PCR-M30 and Ableton Live - problems

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
davehouse

PCR-M30 and Ableton Live - problems

Post by davehouse »

Hi all,

I have a lovely new PCR-M30 which is working fine with most applications, except the one I want it to work with the most - Ableton Live!

The 2nd slider won't assign to any function, while all the others do. The keyboard is definitely transmitting MIDI data but Live just cant assign that particular slider to anything. Also, two of the knobs seem to be linked so you assign one knob to, say, a tracks volume and when you turn the knob, 2 tracks volumes change!

Someone suggested it might be the PCR-M30's default state and perhaps the slider is transmitting non-MIDI note data or something?! I don't know anything about these things! It was suggested that I go through the PCR-M30 checking all sliders, knobs, etc are transmitting CC data... what is CC data? And if this would help, how do i do it?!

Cheers
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: PCR-M30 and Ableton Live - problems

Post by Artemiy »

You should look up the manual to see how to make sure the knobs send CC messages and not SysEx messages. With my M30 some softsynths also refuse to MIDI-learn a few knobs and sliders but I am too lazy to fix this issue yet ;-)
concourse

How to fix assigning / mapping of MIDI control slider (s2) o

Post by concourse »

I was also experiencing the same problem with my EDIROL PCR-30 until I discovered this thread at Sound on Sound:
You must have selected the memory map number 0 on the PCR-M. When selected, this memory is a General MIDI compatible map and the second fader is assigned to the Aftertouch parameter. This cannnot be assigned to other software controls, and you can't change the parameters on this memory map. The other 15 you can.

Simply select another memory (1 for example, by pressing the memory button, and "1" using the keyboard note, there are small numbers above the notes) and "enter" on the left of the keyboard and then you'll be fine.