Master Keyboard

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
JazzXR

Master Keyboard

Post by JazzXR »

I own a Fantom XR...what is the best master keyboard (61 keys) that can I buy?

---------------------------------------
::Rix::
JazzXR

Re: Master Keyboard

Post by JazzXR »

Nobody use a master keyboard?!?!

erf2u

Post by erf2u »

There are some many controllers nowadays. I have not found a 61 key controller that I like yet. I have used an A-30 for a short period and finally decided on a A-37. Mostly for the feel. These are with 76 keys though.

I am currently experimenting with reducing the size of my live gear, which consist of the A-37, Fantom x6, and RS-50. I am currently using a Korg X5DR as the sound module for the A-37 and AX-1.

I am trying to just use the A-37 connected to the X6, and re-program in such a way to play sounds from the X6 from both keyboards.

Anyway, did not mean to get off track! But I would only suggest to find a controller that feels right and easy to program. For me, it is the A-37, and are pretty inexpensive to get at the moment!

Good Luck!
JazzXR

Post by JazzXR »

Tnx for this reply...
but...the A-37 has no knobs...no controllers...only..Buttons!!
What do you think about the CME UF series?

erf2u

Post by erf2u »

The A-37 does has one programmable slider actually. Altough, I would not have any need to have more than than. I rarely have an opportunity to have to use real time controllers during a live performance. Time-to-Time, I will use it but it is far and few in between.

The CME UF series looks nice. I like the Breath controller input (I use to use this on my old DX-7 and KX-5).

This might be something useful for you if you require the real-time accessing. For me, I might get one only for the Breath controller input.
kmiell

midi controllers ONE NOT TO BUY

Post by kmiell »

donyt buy an M-Audio es series. They dont have velocity change on them and they come from the factory with the wrong setting. i couldnt here any of the richness from my rolands. i would have had to change the settings on all my modules if guitar center hadnt taken it back.

an 88 key controller that weighs about 15 lbs sure is inviting, and maybe if you only have one module to program you may like it, but if you have alot of modules and like me use a variety of midi controllers, the ES series controllers will just be a nightmare.

3 jv880's jd990 yamaha ex5r kawai k3m
2 korg trinity's 2 kawai m8000's
1 evolution midi controller
kmiell

midid controllers another not to buy lol

Post by kmiell »

CME. i really liked the way it looked but......theres no number pad. and again everytime you go to change a patch you have to wait for the number to stop blinking.

i love my kawai's. when you change a number its instant for live playing. no blinking. of course they were made in 1986 so they arent easy to find. i actually have 3 of em but one of em has lost its mind. i need to send it to shock therapy.

but yea the CME are nice to look at but with no number pad you have to turn that silly dial and it isnt very acurate.

3 jv880's jd990 yamaha ex5r kawai k3m
2 korg trinity's 2 kawai m8000's
1 evolution midi controller
keego

Post by keego »

You could try an A90 or A90ex four MIDI outs, expandable with the VE series boards, great action, you can pick one up on ebay for around 450 GBP.

I agree about the M-Audio. I had the keystation pro 88 and it had the worst action I have ever had the misfortune to play. The return was terrible.

Good Luck
JazzXR

Post by JazzXR »

tnx for the infos...maybe I'll wait for the new roland controllers :)