ax1 or ax7?

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
diesel815

ax1 or ax7?

Post by diesel815 »

G'day guys, just wantin to know ur opinions on these 2 keytars. I can get a ax-1 significantly cheaper than an ax-7 but is it worth payin a few hundred more for the ax7? Let us know.
erf2u

Re: ax1 or ax7?

Post by erf2u »

If you are planning to use with multiple program changes, meaning having to change sounds many times in the middle of a song, then I would get the AX7, as the double digit display will be easier to confirm the patch you are selecting.

I currently have the AX1 and only use it when I am stepping out in front. Usually, I am only switching between 2 patches, between grooving and soloing. However, time to time, I end up pushing the wrong button, and recalling a different patch.

So, if you plan on using multiple patches during one song, the AX7 would be easier to use.

However, I have been looking at the AX7 to replace my AX1, just for the hell of it. I used to have an A30 controller, and because I use it more often, replaced it with the A37, which is similar to the AX7 in terms of accessibility and programming, as well the the display. I can remember patch numbers rather than looking at the button LED's.
SammyJames

Hey -- go with the AX1!!!

Post by SammyJames »

I have the AX7. It is nice, but the problem is that the octave shift buttons got BURIED in a menu!!! This is a ROYAL pain; I used to really enjoy creating "arpeggiated riffs" on-the-fly by using the two octave up/down buttons on the AX1. I ended up getting rid of the last AX1 that I had, and I ended up regretting it. I don't play live anymore, or else I would have gone on eBay to find an old AX1.

That is my view. But I suppose that erf2u has it right as well -- the AX7 does, in fact, let you switch among more parameters more easily. The other cool thing about the AX7 is that it does have a D-Beam, which the AX1 does not. The feel of the pitch ribbon is improved pretty dramatcially on the AX7. I don't know if it is possible to set the D-Beam to change octaves as easily as the up/down buttons, which is something that you could look into. I may read the manual to see if it is in there.

It is your call, but again -- I always loved my AX1. I wouldn't have gotten rid of it except that I REALLY needed the money at the time. Oh well.

- Sammy

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
http://www.sammyjames.com
diesel815

Post by diesel815 »

Yeah thats a pain about the octave change, i'll have to check if u could possibly use the d-beam.
diesel815

Post by diesel815 »

thanks heaps guys, you've really helped a lot!
erf2u

Just Got the AX7

Post by erf2u »

Well, I was lucky enough to get the AX7 for about $300 on ebay not too long ago. It was missing one key though, and had a broken keyboard chasis. Otherwise, works great. I got replacement parts from Roland (spent only about $30 total) and restored unit!

I finally used it at a gig last weekend, and compared to my AX1, was much more easier for me with respect to the display and buttons etc.

One comment on the Octave button I would like to make, as I used this sometimes on the AX1. I found it easy enough to program two patches (i.e 22 and 23) next to each other, using the same "voice" with one patch being an octave higher than the other. Then you can toggle between the octaves with just a press of a program button on the neck. I found this much easier than the octave button on the AX1.

My AX1 soon to be ebayed, as I am enjoying the AX7 now...
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Hey erf2u:

Great idea! I love that program-octave thing that you came up with. Nice work. I'll have to try that sometime...

- Sammy

Al Gore should win an Oscar. In fact, he should be President of the United States... oh yeah --- HE IS the President of the United States.

http://www.sammyjames.com/music.htm