Boss Micro BR not saving TEMPO

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
mkec

Boss Micro BR not saving TEMPO

Post by mkec »

I've recently bought a Boss Micro BR - an absolutely amazing unit - I love it!

But I've run across a bit of a problem - the unit changes the tempo of a song once you've recorded it but it only changes it for the rhythm track causing the whole thing to sound like a mess!! These are the steps to make it happen:

i) Create a new song – the tempo (top right) will be 120
ii) Select a rhythm pattern (PT in top left corner) i.e. 002 ROCK1-V1
iii) Record an instrument onto track 1. Playback the song – everything should be in time.
iv) Load another song i.e. the Big Dance demo track (Or switch the unit off and back on)
v) Re-load the song recorded in step iii). The tempo (top right) will now be 130
vi) Playback the song. The rhythm track will play at 130 and is now completely out of sync with the recorded track(s) which was recorded at 120

The tempo can be changed temporarily but every time you re-load the song/switch the machine on/off the tempo will have been changed back to 130 by the unit

Is anyone else experiencing this - I've seen it happen now on 3 seperate units.
Thanks
mkec

Re. Boss Micro BR problem

Post by mkec »

have spoken to roland uk twice:

1st time the customer service guy said it sounded like a faulty unit & swapped it but the same thing happened with the new one.

2nd time the same thing happened on the unit the customer service guy had.
he was quite surprised and had no idea why it was happening.

put it down to a software bug - hopefully will be fixed in a future firmware update.

you can kind of work around it and get the unit to update your song tempo when you select a pattern by temporarily switching to arrangement mode then back to pattern mode when you've chosen your rhythm i.e. at least you'll be recording at the same tempo the unit will be saving your song with!

it's just a bit frustrating that you can't permanently change the tempo of the song and have the rhythm track reflect this and there doesn't seem to be a way to copy and edit a pattern the way you can with an arrangement (guess you could just have an arrangement of the same pattern .....). Hopefully just glitches as it's so new and a few updates will sort things out.

that said, it's a fantastic unit - amazing amount of features and really easy to use.
jstorms

micro BR

Post by jstorms »

mkec, just got one of those br units.... simply amazing all the features packed into it... haven't had time to get down to serious business with it yet. it is same structure as BR 1200 CD so I wasn't as lost as i thought i'd be in manuevering around thru the functions. I noticed the tempo resets itself on the rhythm track...first thing off after running a few test recordings. might be a while before they update.... in order to see if they find other bugs lurking... but you are correct... it is a neat recorder! great for getting something on the fly and the most portable thing i own now. keep us posted if you find any other glitches or bugs. j

Just Play It
Cloudschatze

Re: Boss Micro BR not saving TEMPO

Post by Cloudschatze »

I've run into the "unsupported format" issue during recording.

I'm not exactly sure what causes it, though I suspect that, for whatever reason, the SD card wasn't seated correctly. Simply ejecting/reinserting it resolved the issue.

I've been using my unit solely as an MP3/WAV recorder thus far, and it's been absolutely wonderful in this regard. My only niggle is that there isn't a "proper" way to view the input level in MP3 mode, like you can do in Multi mode.

Oh, and I'm not terribly keen on the mirrored faceplate finish. I was much more partial to the darker look that you see in the photographs of the unit. Ah well... :)
jstorms

Changing Tempo

Post by jstorms »

just browsing in the owners manual and happened to notice the following on page 31:
"when the play screen is displayed, you can perform the following steps to TEMPORARILY change the playback tempo of the pattern".... the word "TEMPORARILY" makes me think it might not be a bug... but just the way it's set up to record the tempo of a pattern... am wondering if the tempo is fixed with no way to "write" it to the recording for playback purposes.
But.... with that said.. i am still happy with this little machine. Never know when you will need a mirror.... :) j

Just Play It
SeanF

Reply from Roland Customer Support

Post by SeanF »

I emailed Roland Customer support, and got a quick reply:

------------------------
Thank you for your email.

I can confirm this is not a bug. The rhythm arrangement section controls the tempo of the song. The arrangement section is made up of two memory types, the preset memory and the user memory. The preset arrangement memory are pre-made and also protected meaning they can not be overwritten, any changes made to the preset memory will not get stored unless it is saved to the user memory, user memory is free memory which can store and edit arrangements.

To change the tempo of a song and to store the changes please follow this procedure: (This example uses Preset Arrangement 01)

Copying the preset memory arrangement to the user arrangement memory

1. Press the RHYTHM button

2. Press the button [TR1] so the Rhythm is switch ‘ON’ and is displayed in the bottom left hand side of the screen

3. Press the button [TR2] to select ‘AR’, AR will be shown in the top left of the screen to show the arrangement menu

4. Press the button [TR4] to select EDT (arrangement edit)

5. Press the button [TR3] to select CPY (copy)

6. By default the MICROBR will select the user memory, this is displayed as “S” e.g. S01 EMPTY001, chose the user memory number to be used to copy the preset memory by pressing the cursor buttons to select the number (e.g 01) and use the [+] and [–] buttons to select the number, press TR4 to execute and then press TR4 again to confirm (on screen it will display COPY P01 > S01 OK?) .

Once copied, the MICROBR will return to the Arrangement screen with ‘AR’ in the top left

Changing the tempo to the user memory

1. Enter the arrangement edit screen (to enter this screen please follow steps 1,2,3 and 4 of the above section ‘Copying the preset arrangement to the user memory’)

2. Press [TR1] to select “STP”.

3. Cursor to the tempo displayed on bottom left of the screen using the cursor buttons, e.g. 130.

4. Change the tempo by pressing the [+] and [–] button

Press the [EXIT] button three times to return the main screen, all settings changed will be saved to the user memory when the song is changed or the MICROBR is powered down.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Customer Support
Roland (UK) Ltd
Web: http://www.roland.co.uk/
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

SeanF
Welcome to the Roland Clan and thank you for sharing this one.

I have now changed the thread's tittle to make it more clear and made it sticky
tlj3

Post by tlj3 »

SeanF is right.

In the pattern mode (PT) the tempo will not be saved with the song.

In the arrangement mode (AR) the tempo settings will be saved.

Note: In an arrangement, each "part" can have a separate tempo.
edman

tempo frustrations

Post by edman »

i have the same problem. i have not found a workaround. it is a major flaw that should be addressed by roland.

the manual only shows how to temporarily change the tempo.

i have tried many fixes to no avail.
Sonic_Stuff

Post by Sonic_Stuff »

edman: It's not a flaw. It takes a somewhat long procedure.

SeanF: I don't think its needed the Copy step. I use this procedure and it works.

1. Press RHYTHM
2. Turn ON (if it isn't already), pressing TRACK1
3. Choose AR, pressing TRACK2
4. Press the left arrow )
9. With + or - choose your Tempo
10. Exit (3 times)
11. Remember to keep the RHYTHM ON.
12. Your tempo is now saved

--------
Boss Micro BR Community
edman

Detailed step by step instructions: What a treat!

Post by edman »

Thank you!

Might I ask for detailed instructions in using tempo in arrangements. I would like to use this function but I have filed to understand how.

Your effort is GREATLY appreciated.

I love this little shiny thing...
charlesdevin

Post by charlesdevin »

Savings Bond
charlesdevin

Post by charlesdevin »