Roland AX-7 discontinued, so what's the next controller?

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
breakbeatah

Roland AX-7 discontinued, so what's the next controller?

Post by breakbeatah »

I'm really bummed out that you can't find this synth anywhere in the states. I've been wanting to buy two this last month and now i guess my only option is eBay. Is this controller still avail internationally?

With the new season, a lot of products have been discontinued, so does anybody know of rumours for the next AX series before I buy used AX-7s?
Silver Dragon Sound

Re: Roland AX-7 discontinued, so what's the next controller?

Post by Silver Dragon Sound »

Its interesting you bring this up as I too was thinking about the AX7 as well. I don't know if anything new is being introduced. We can hope they will make an announcement at summer NAMM but if they are going to announce something new, Winter Namm is probably a more likely forum for Roland to do this.
province

Post by province »

maybe there is a new version coming perhaps with USB. I own an AX1 Which is the older version red and does not have the screen on it and I also own a CASIO AZ1 which is from the 80s I am happy with both. The best place to look at this stage would be Ebay you will find some AX7s in almost mint condition there as I have seen them there quite often.
Silver Dragon Sound

Post by Silver Dragon Sound »

What's a fair price new and used for one of these? I saw one that sold for $675 recently. There is only one used one on Ebay now but its in Australia. I'm not sure how much a used should go for and I'd hate to over pay for one. I'm also keeping an eye out for a potenitalk announcement on a new model.
erf2u

Post by erf2u »

Not so long ago, you could find them new for $495. But, seems that they are all gone.

A fair price for a used one would certainly be in the $400 range.

I guess I should be lucky to get mine at $300 on ebay. This was only a few months ago...

Good luck
breakbeatah

Post by breakbeatah »

actually now that the AX-7 has been discontinued the value has gone up considerably!! i check eBay about twice a week and you'll notice these baby's selling for at least $500, but when they were on the market you could get them cheaper. bad call on Roland, but I guess they weren't selling. eghh, it happens i guess. can't blame Roland, blame the lack of performances worldwide in using them. i mean no other brand still dishes these out. big ups to Roland!

regarding that comment with USB, that would be a cool option, but surely not for live.

ROLAND, make your next one WIRELESS!!!! M-audio is on it, and you're better! it's better than having a side midi wireless option. wireless keytar is the next generation in my opinion.!!
erf2u

Post by erf2u »

I have seen the ending prices of AX-7's on ebay lately, and they have jumped up to about $600.00

I have currently my AX-1 on ebay, and there are many watchers at the moment. I am excited to see how this will do. As I mentioned before, I picked up a semi-damaged AX-7 for $300, and all it took was a $5 key, a $16 chassis, a bit of assembly, and now I have a great AX-7......I am also thinking of fitting my wireless midi unit inside the AX-7, since I know there is room inside...
DonPhilippo

Post by DonPhilippo »

erf2u wrote:

> I am also thinking of fitting my wireless midi unit
> inside the AX-7, since I know there is room inside...

I found the empty spaces inside my AX7 as well ;-), and I wonder if I could fit my Kenton Midistream transmitter in that space somehow and connect it to my AX7's battery pack unit.

If I succeed in raising the money soon enough, my AX7 is getting a custom paint job this summer and from then on it should look like a portable version of this Soviet monster*). My tech guy will try and integrate my wireless MIDI transmitter into my AX7's casing at the same time.

Let's stay in touch about this.

XXX, Don Philippo

*) This means that at the moment I could really use someone to help me translating the printing on my AX7's case into proper Russian. ;-)

GregC

Post by GregC »

I am selling my Yamaha KX5 on ebay

GregC
erf2u

Post by erf2u »

>I am selling my Yamaha KX5 on ebay
>
>#220105359176
>
>GregC

Hey GregC, I noticed your KX5 while reseaching during the time I posted my AX-1. I still cannot get myself to sell my KX5, as it has become more sentimental to me more than anything. Perhaps one day...

My AX-1 is listed under #220105370564. In fact, our first bidder was the same person. We are also in the same area....will shoot you a PM (guess I cannot do that)....
GregC

Post by GregC »

hey bro, nice AX-1

I think you will get a decent price

I hearya on sentimental keyboards. I was like that with my Triton Classic for a couple of years - I sold it last month

Gotta make room for new stuff

GregC
DonPhilippo

Post by DonPhilippo »

Why not wait for the Roland AX-13 product launch in 2022?

XXX, Don Philippo

DonPhilippo

Post by DonPhilippo »

I wrote:

> My tech guy will try and integrate my wireless MIDI
> transmitter into my AX7's casing at the same time.

Well, not excactly. My AX7 is still snow white, but my tech guy (Ernst Fliek of ErnstAmps) managed to build in my Kenton Midistream Transmitter into my AX7's space-age polymere casing! The transmitter is now somewhere under the right hand side of the keyboard where there was, as Ernst stated, "space enough to fit in an average aircraft carrier".

The MIDI IN of the transmitter is connected to the MIDI OUT of the keyboard internally. The transmitter is now powered by the AX7's power supply, so when I switch on my AX7 now, I'm instantly radio-active.

I've been testing my new wireless monster continuously for over two hours now, and there's been absolutely no flaw whatsoever. The range seems unchanged (I still can walk into my neighbour's neighbour's neighbour's garden and hear myself play the Thunderstruck lick on my X6's Searing Cosm ;-), so my only concern left is battery duration...

I will be doing a lengthy testing session with a fresh set of batteries tomorrow to tackle that final doubt. I'll let you know if I run into any trouble.

DOES BEERS (I'll be doesing some right now, so why doesn't you?),

XXX, Don Philippo

erf2u

Post by erf2u »

Your are correct...I should be doing something with my AX-7 now..but still do not have the time.

You have certainly brought your AX-7 to the next level and I envy you. I will follow putting my MidiJet into my AX-7 soon and I will too post my results.

Certainly keep us updated to the battery drain. Although, I am not too worried as I do not use the AX-7 the whole night..only on songs that I can cover using only one hand. So, I think for my perspective, battery drain will not be an issue.
picaja

Post by picaja »

I bought a very cheap (about 150 Euro) M-audio Midair wireless transmitter and it works great in combination with my ax7.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MidAir-main.html

Yes here in Europe I saw people selling a AX7's for 700 Euro!

I remember selling end of stock in Germany for 400 Euro. Strange.
Someone wrote on a forum the reason for discontinue is that some materials were used inside that is not allowed anymore but I cannot confirm that.

Fantom X7 (srx07-srx98),Roland JD800 (2),Roland JD990 (2),Roland JV1080,Korg Wavestation A/D,Korg EX8000,Korg Prophecy,Waldorf Microwave 2,Alesis Multimix Firewire 16, Roland AX7