Roland AX-7 discontinued, so what's the next controller?

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
ctimmerman

Re: Roland AX-7 discontinued, so what's the next controller?

Post by ctimmerman »

"Someone wrote on a forum the reason for discontinue is that some materials were used inside that is not allowed anymore"

That sounds like it might have something to do with RoHS compliance that went into affect last summer for Europe bound products.

I just happened into a local music store over the weekend, and the salesman had the recent Roland catalog that he just got, and it had the AX-7 still listed and available. No mention of it being discontinued.

Roland may have just decided to discontinue the product in Europe rather than go through the process of making it RoHS compliant.

Carl
Fantom X8, Mackie DFX-6, Peavey KB/A 50
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Dude, that is SO funny! I finally sold my AX 7 on eBay. Had I but known that you were looking for one, I would have offered you first crack at it. It sold for $645, which is WAY more than what I paid for it (which was $495). I made a profit on a piece of gear that I sold for ONCE in my life.

I don't use eBay anymore, because there are too many weirdos on there. But anyway, I was thinking about the same exact thing about a week ago. I imagine that the next such controller that Roland puts out will probably have a USB MIDI transmitter/receiver unit. It will probably also look even cooler than the older AX series boards.

I would wait if I were you. I think that you are spending too much money on an outdated piece of equipment like the AX controllers.

Good luck anyhow! And again, I'm sorry that I hadn't checked here before I sold my AX. I should have known!!! Oh well.

- Sammy

Sammy James has been approved for use by people who need approval.

http://www.sammyjames.com/music.htm
zenriffer.com

New Midi Controller Announced

Post by zenriffer.com »

The Zen Riffer is an awesome, hand-made, vertical keboard that can be played standing, sitting or like a guitar. This is a beautiful instrument that has built in wireless midi with a 500 foot range. Nothing else like it. Period.
Check it out at www.zenriffer.com
DonPhilippo

Post by DonPhilippo »

zenriffer.com:

> The Zen Riffer is an awesome, hand-made, vertical
> keboard that can be played standing, sitting or like a
> guitar. This is a beautiful instrument that has built in
> wireless midi with a 500 foot range. Nothing else like
> it. Period.

A few things.

a) You have built one of the most beautiful instruments I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning!
b) You have built one of the most expensive instruments I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning!
c) Why does the Riffer have wireless MIDI? It doesn't look very portable to me.
d) Two octaves is, well, not enough. Ever.
e) I am the inventor of the AX7 Midistream keytar. Basically it's a Roland AX7 with a built-in Kenton MidiStream transmitter ;-). Cost me about 1000 euros total, has 43 keys, and is very portable...
f) ...so please tell me why I feel my life is incomplete without me owning a Riffer?! I want one! Aaaaaargh!

XXX, Don Philippo

zenriffer.com

Zen Riffer

Post by zenriffer.com »

Don,
Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate it.
The almost 6 foot beast is designed to be played in a myriad of ways.
Did you see the quicktime video I put together? Pretty cool.

The instrument converts to guitar mode in 2 seconds so you can strap it on. The entire unit weighs 11lbs and less with just the upper unit. This way you are playing in controller fashion.

I have to tell you that I have R&D this for quite some time. All controls are ergonomically placed to be able to thumb trigger octave changes, mod and pitch wheels in a way that is totally organic and expressive.

Feel free to call anytime and I can answer any questions.
To play it is to experience it.
I'm in the LA area. You are welcome to pop by and Riff on the Zen Riffer. You will trip. Garanteed.

Peace,
Charles,
Owner/Inventor
Zen Riifer Vertical Keyboards
www.zenriffer.com
562 400-1355
zenriffer.com

Zen Riffer Wireless Vertical Keyboard

Post by zenriffer.com »

Don,
Love the music the way.
Awesome!

Charles
www.zenriffer.com
SammyJames

Uh...

Post by SammyJames »

Most companies that try to sell high-end synth and keyboard products, like yours, have a short shelf-life.

$5,900?! AND ELEVEN POUNDS!!!???

Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I wish you the greatest opportunities and the best preparation.

- Sammy

Sammy James has been approved for use by four out of five people.

zenriffer.com

ZEN RIFFER VERTICAL KEYBOARD

Post by zenriffer.com »

Thanks for the post Sammy.

I am a small company and growing steadily.
i am coming out with a moderately priced controller that will
compete with the now discontinued AX-7.

Coming in September if everything stays on course.
Please stay in touch and visit the website from time to time if
you are interested in a body axe.

Peace,
Charles Tentindo
www.zenriffer.com
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Hey Charles:

Oh, yeah. To reiterate -- I wasn't saying that I WANT for you to go out-of-business. I want for you to do well, and I want to be able to buy something from you.

If you really want to know what I want, then let me put my three cents in here:

1. I want a LIGHT-weight controller -- something that is literally about a pound-and-a-half. Period. (Maybe three or four, tops -- but 11 pounds is seriously way too heavy. I can barely keep the AX7 on without feeling the pinch in my right shoulder, and that thing weighs about five, if I'm not mistaken...)

2. I want a controller with at least three octaves -- 37 keys -- or better yet, four octaves -- 49 keys.

3. I do like the controllers that are on your current product. I hope that you can keep these in your lower-cost version.

4. I want something with USB built-in MIDI wireless.

5. Finally, I want something that I can plug into the wall (or into a USB port!) to charge. I hate having to futz with stupid batteries!!!

That is it. If you can do all of that, then I'll pay a lot of money. By a "lot," I mean about a grand.

Thanks man!!! You clearly have some work to do. Enjoy.

- Sammy

Sammy James has been approved for use by people who need approval.

breakbeatah

Post by breakbeatah »

that zen riffer looks great! agreeing that for a controller it's a pretty choking price. are the keys semi-weighted? i have a friend that stripped an oxygen-8, made an oak mold, and ended up creating a fairly decent keytar. the guy's a carpenter to begin with. that was back in '02! i hope you do well! i do agree that for bass/b-lines only one octave is really needed for control...maybe. excellent concept

now all you need is more functions and d-beam =P
jeanbart

Post by jeanbart »

Hello,

Does zenriffer company tell me where french musicians can try your keyboard in France ?
Will you be present in september 2008 at "french namm" in Paris ??

Thanks to answer.

Jeanbart.
breakbeatah

Post by breakbeatah »

very very displeased with Roland's lack of production for this type of controller. since the beginning of the year or this thread it has added to another $100 extra. check on eBay. Roland needs to respond to a new controller a lot quicker. I will not buy a used AX off eBay
breakbeatah

Post by breakbeatah »

ok, guys... one's going for $1K on eBay. completely ridiculous. I don't blame the seller, nor the bids, it's just a controller everyone wants. And I still don't have one. For that amount I could get a V-Synth, but then that still misses the point. I need a controller bad. I'm really upset that Roland hasn't come out with another generation controller. hopefully their next season. rumors are at least something
Rageinuyasha

Paint jobs

Post by Rageinuyasha »

Anyone know where who I should talk to to get me AX-7 Painted?
jeanbart

Post by jeanbart »

Doesn anyone know if a new AX7 go out ( namm09 ) ?

Cheers guys.