Micro BR live recording

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
groovey1

Micro BR live recording

Post by groovey1 »

I'm a fairly new Micro BR owner and I tried recording some songs during a band rehearsal the other day. I finally got the "OVER" indicator to only appear once in a while, but when I listened to the play back, the volume was super low. I was using the built-in mic and recording straight to mp3. I also had the limiter-only effect on. Can anybody recommend some settings that will prevent overloading but still get a good recorded volume?
Flatpicker

live recording

Post by Flatpicker »

Hello, When you say band rehearsal are we talking electric as opposed to acoustic? In an electric rehearsal what works for me is Effects off, MIC 75% then tell the drummer to pop the snare, and adjust as needed, oh yeah I also place the BR as far from the drums as possible.

For acoustic - Effects off, MIC 85% in the middle of a group of flatpickers in a circle. but that works for me. Its really hit or miss. ie; room size, Placement of BR, Guitar player who keeps turning up his amp. you"ll find what you want the more you mess with it.
groovey1

Re: Micro BR live recording

Post by groovey1 »

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, it's a moderately loud electric band. I think you raise a good point about placement ... I think I was too close to the drum kit. I'll see if I can get further away next time. When you say 75%, I assume you're talking about the input level? How did you have the sensitivity set? I was using something like -4 or -5 db and my input level was down to about 30. I'm thinking I need to lower the sensitivity more and turn up the input as well.
groovey1

Post by groovey1 »

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, it's a moderately loud electric band. I think you raise a good point about placement ... I think I was too close to the drum kit. I'll see if I can get further away next time. When you say 75%, I assume you're talking about the input level? How did you have the sensitivity set? I was using something like -4 or -5 db and my input level was down to about 30. I'm thinking I need to lower the sensitivity more and turn up the input as well.

[hmm ... I had some network wierdness when I posted this and it went in twice ... anyone know how to delete a post?]
Flatpicker

Live recording

Post by Flatpicker »

Hello again,I've never had my input below 60 and sens. set flat =0 , in an electric recording. the OVER indicator scares alot of people,myself included when I first got the BR, but
after test recording (cd of the kind of you music you play thru a pa system set to the volume at which we jam) I found a good setting and wrote it down,
and you know how jam spaces vary in size, so try to find that one place that works in your situation. hope this helps
groovey1

Post by groovey1 »

Thanks, that's a great idea: figuring out the settings by playing a CD through the PA. I've been wanting to record some songs to see how the arrangements sound, but I don't want to disrupt the rehearsals too much by fiddling with the br. I'll just go early one night and get organized.