Edirol PCR 300/500/800 control maps

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
JazzXR

Edirol PCR 300/500/800 control maps

Post by JazzXR »

Can anyone help me to make up a control map?
I don't understand how assign a sysex message to a knob that change value when I turn the knob...

For example "part volume"

I can assign a fixed value, but not a changing value.
How can I do this?
Graeme

Re: Edirol PCR 300/500/800 control maps

Post by Graeme »

(Artermio - happy for you to post this in the downlaod area if you wish.)

Yes, I have control maps made for my XR and PCR-500 - these are an excellent combo and the maps will work with PCR-300, 500 & 800.

The ReadMe doc shows the maps, but briefly, all preset patches, user and card patches, GM and most GM2 patches can be accessed from map 1.

I've set up map 2 to show how to access expansion cards (I've set up 8 cards but of course you can only fit in 6 anyway, but hopefully this gives you the idea).

Map 3 is for rhythm patches (preset, user, card & expansion), and a few remaining GM2 patches (mostly special FX).

Map 4 is for performances. Press button C2 if necessary to set the correct mode for the current map.

All other controls do logical things, such as attack, freq, resonance, reverb, master vol, etc.

This PCR range of keyoards are really well thought out, and can calculate sysex checksums on the fly. They could easily be used as a live controller. Only a couple of minor shortcomings I've found are:
- wish it could send a message automatically when selecting a new map to set patch or performance mode
- when sending a program change from a message, the program up/down and program dial should reset to that patch number.
JazzXR

Post by JazzXR »

GREAT!!!!!
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you !!! :)
JazzXR

Post by JazzXR »

hey graeme, a question.
What does "DT S1" means in the sysex message?
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

you're welcome, JazzXR

You will need to read these mesages in conjunction with the manual for a full understanding.

SS is a marker that means "start calculating checksum from here"
DT is the value from 0 to 127 of the position of the slider (S1 to S9) or rotary encoder (R1 to R9)
S1 is the checksum itself.

This shows the power of this keyboard - because the data value is included in the checksum calculation, the checksum itself can be calculated on the fly.

rgds,
G
JazzXR

Post by JazzXR »

WOW! This is great!!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Made this a sticky and moved to the proper section.
tajungba

PCR 300 L1-L4

Post by tajungba »

Can someone help...I bought PCR 300 last year but till now I can't figure but the L1-L4 controls. Is it only for assigning midi or it does more? They have Record, Play, Pause and Stop signs on the top of the buttons. Does it record or play anything else or is it just a show? I've checked th manual dozen times but very less has been said about these four buttons.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

L1 to L4 are not special in any way. If you wanted transport controls then this would be the logical place to put them, of course.
jtax

editor problems

Post by jtax »

hi guys

ive just bought the pcr 800 but i'm having real trouble with the editor software. i'm a newbie in terms of midi and all the different messages so i was wondering if anyone could do a 'dummy's guide'?

also out of interest has anybody noticed 'dead spots' at each end of the sliders/rotary encoders? i have to move them quite far before they register a new value i.e. from 0 to 1 or 127-126.

help please!
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

I'd love to write a MIDI User guide, please send me lots of money first ;-)

There's a fair bit of guidance and a fair bit of misunderstanding on the web, so just don't believe everything you read until you've seen the same thing a few times.

On the sliders, I hadn't noticed the dead spots, but it's a common approach to ensure the sliders always go to the min and max, without needing to calibrate regularly.
RestLes

Post by RestLes »

Graeme,
The control map looks interesting and I'm curious if I can apply these settings to an Orbit3 rack synth. Seems like you know your way around midi aswell.
Control wise, is it fair to say that not all synths share the same midi implementations? Or, are the controls common for all? ie, XR master volume can be controlled by Slider9 and Orbit3 can't. I'm new to midi and trying to wrap my head around all this to simplify things.
You also mentiond a fee! What's your price? I'll pay for your help!

Anyone, feedback appreciated!
OXIGENOW

MC-808

Post by OXIGENOW »

Have anybody a PCR XXX control map for MC-808?

I can´t assign the select part (1 to 16) to the PCR pads. Also, I can´t assign part volume to each fader; all them modify the selected part volume. At the moment I´ve assigned only cut-off, resonance, LFO´s, etc to knobs.

Thanks!

P.S: Sorry because my english is terrible. I´m spanish.
jrichar64

PCR control maps for Sonic Cell?

Post by jrichar64 »

Does anyone have ready-made control maps for the Roland Sonic Cell synth module? I've just ordered a PCR-800 for use with this and computer software. Would really like to get tight integration with the Sonic Cell but there are no control maps posted for this device on the official Roland/Edirol sites. Surprising, as the PCR keyboards would seem from the specs to be ideal controllers for the Sonic Cell ....

Any pointers or concrete help appreciated.

John R
JazzXR

NEW PCR800 Control Map

Post by JazzXR »

Hi folks,
I made a new control map for the Fantom XR. Now ALL controllers are mapped.
See the file for more info.

A special thanks goes to Graeme.