br-600 compactflash speed

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
bossposs

br-600 compactflash speed

Post by bossposs »

does anyone know if the speed of a compactflash card makes a big difference on the br-600 or any cf based recorder for that matter? I don't know whether it is worth getting a 1Gb sandisk extreme III that has a read/write speed of 20Mb/s rather than the cheaper ultra II that has a read/write speed of about 10Mb/s. What I really need to know is what is the BR-600 capable of in terms of read/write speed so I can get a card to match.

Many thanks, Aidan
V-CeeOh

Re: br-600 compactflash speed

Post by V-CeeOh »

Although some user state to have noticed some diferences with diferent cards its not proven that this is in fact true. So don't worry about that as the card will run at the host speed and not itself. Also, AFAIK Roland/Boss don't mention this in any of their products. So just buy the card and start playing ;-)
bossposs

Post by bossposs »

Cheers for that info, I haven't bought the BR-600 yet (they are out of stock in the UK). Also still trying to decide between BR-600 and Fostex MR8 MkII. The fostex is quite a bit cheaper but doesn't have drum machine or bass simulation. Also, the Tascam DP02CF looks really nice and has the benefit (as far as I can tell) of a proper effects send and return loop which might be the best solution for flexibility.

On the BR, I think the drum machine is a nice to have rather than essential as I mostly do acoustic stuff and I don't really need loads of cosm guitar effects for the same reason but I am interested in the bass simulator having tried playing bass and found it tricky I'm sure I could get a much better approximation to a bass guitar on my six string if the sound of the bass simulator was good enough. Any thoughts on that one???
eddysideways

Post by eddysideways »

I've found the bass simulator very cool in my case.
I have recorded 19 songs and each time I'm listening to it I've found it bluffing...

You can hear those songs over there :
http://www.myspace.com/eddysidewaysvalili