Boss Br 864

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
jk22

Boss Br 864

Post by jk22 »

Been looking for a cheap $100-$200 used digital multitrack and love the br600's ability to load custom drum samples into the onboard drum machine. Except, its a little more than I can afford right now.

Then I came across the Br864 which seems to be almost identical for my needs, except it uses the track buttons as pads instead of the velocity-sensitive pads on the br600.

I'm assuming these "pad buttons" are not velocity sensitive, and I was wondering if I could play the drum sounds from an external midi controller that IS velocity sensitive, and have the varying velocities recorded?

I've seen some Br864's for around $150 on ebay and would be perfect for my needs of recording my own compositions with synths, guitars, and bass, and being able to sample some realistic sounded drums without spending a fortune on an extra sampler.

Does anyone know if this can be done w/ an external midi controller?

Thanks in advance
PauloF

Re: Boss Br 864

Post by PauloF »

If I understood well, I think you want to use an external MIDI controller to fire the BR864's Drum sounds...If that's the case, I don't think you can, as the BR864 only has a MIDI out connector (to control other devices), ex: to act as Master Sync for other MIDI devices, and no MIDI input.

I have a BR864...I just use it for recording. Before I had a Fantom, I used it also for Drum parts, but now I just use the Fantom drum machine to generate all my drum parts.

I hope it helps
PauloF
jk22

Post by jk22 »

Thanks Paulo,

Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Thats cool you got a fantom. I had a fantom xa once and loved it, but had to sell it. I've got an alesis qs8 now which is nice, but has no sequencer/recording device so I'm looking for the least expensive, yet good quality multitrack. The BR-864 seems like the one for me. I think I can get around the velocity issue by either adjust the values manually after recording, or just recording drums from my synth to one of the tracks.

As a BR-864 user yourself, do you mind if I ask a few questions?

1) How is the sound quality, considering the compression it uses?

2) How reliable is it? I'd be buying mine used. I'm used to digital mixers without sliders/knobs etc., if they become loose from wear N tear would it effect how they are received in the recorder?

3) Whats your overall opinion of the 864? I'm assuming you like it since you are still using it after getting your fantom. If I had a fantom still I'd probably just use its sequencer/sampler to record on. Is there something you like especially about the 864's sound?

4) Also, how is it transferring files to/from a PC through USB?
I've had problems in the past with USB on keyboards where they messed up my keyboard being connected to a computer. Is it safe to transfer files?

Thanks for you help,

Jk
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

JK,

1) Sound quality - Humm, that's very subjective, but as I record everything with MT2 format (even the test takes), IMO the sound quality is very good.

2) Very reliable. I have mine since 2004, heavily used, and no problems at all.

3) That's a good point. IMO even with the Fantom's sequencer, which is good, I still use the BR864 to make the final production, and besides that, as the Fantom Xa does not have Audio Tracks, I use it as my Audio Tracks "expander". So they complement each other very nicely.

4)It is very safe to transfer files via USB, I do it all the time to save my work. Roland recommends to upgrade the BR864 to the latest release v 1.01 to improve USB stability (see http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... jectId=571, for details. I didn't have any USB problems, but I did the upgrade anyway.

In addition, I've downloaded the BR900/600 Rhythm editor, which unfortunately has no support for the BR864 (only with the 900CD and 600), but is a very helpful tool for rhythm editing/creation. Give it a try. It's free.

If I was you, I would look for the 600 or 900CD instead, as the BR864 is outdated, and the 600/900CD both have new features, and PC integration, but still the BR864 is a very good machine, very reliable, very easy to work with !!

If you want the best, then you have to have some $$$ and go for the 1200CD/1600CD, these are THE BEASTS !!!

Fine that I was able to help
Take care
PauloF
jk22

Post by jk22 »

Thanks,

Yeah, on a tight budget right now. Just looking for something to record my synth to as a hobby for now. Originally I had narrowed my search down to the 600, but didn't have enough for it, so I was still saving. Then I came across the 864 that seems like the same thing for about half the cost, used, and I could get it now. I've tried researching the differences and can't find too many that justify the extra cost for the 600. I think the 864 is the way to go for right now.

How do you upgrade the OS? It seems risky to clear the original Operating System, what happens if the new one fails to load? Is it easy to do?

Thanks,

jk
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Jk,
The 864 is a GREAT machine. It has been my recorder since 2004, and still going.
Listen to some experiments recorded with the BR864.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=801829

Like you, I can't spend any money on gear right now, otherwise I would buy a 1600CD and a Fantom G !!! ;-)

The 864's upgrade is really easy to do. Just follow the instructions on the link I sent you (http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... jectId=571. Download the Zip file and follow the document. Really easy.
My suggestion is that you use a blank CF card while doing the upgrade. In case you don't have one, backup any data you have via USB to your PC/MAC first.

Take care
PauloF
agent2x4

Post by agent2x4 »

The 864 was awesome. Bought one in 04 and it lasted until 2010. I now have a 1200, but still long for the simplicity of the 864. One day the display showed a bunch of hearts (??) and then just went away completely. Too bad...works fine otherwise, but I figured by the time I sent it in, the fix would've probably cost more than a used one on ebay.

Anyway, enjoy your 864...wish mine still worked!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Unfortunately, my BR864 is for sale at the moment...anyone interested, consult the Marketplace Section of this Forum on: ** TOP URGENT Sell of all my Gear :-( **
skyy38

Post by skyy38 »

agent2x4 wrote:The 864 was awesome. Bought one in 04 and it lasted until 2010. I now have a 1200, but still long for the simplicity of the 864. One day the display showed a bunch of hearts (??) and then just went away completely. Too bad...works fine otherwise, but I figured by the time I sent it in, the fix would've probably cost more than a used one on ebay.

You only got 6 years out of the 864?

I thought Roland was one of the most reliable companies ever!

Of course, was that 6 years of "la-de-da" use or did you record constantly?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

skyy38 wrote:
agent2x4 wrote:The 864 was awesome. Bought one in 04 and it lasted until 2010. I now have a 1200, but still long for the simplicity of the 864. One day the display showed a bunch of hearts (??) and then just went away completely. Too bad...works fine otherwise, but I figured by the time I sent it in, the fix would've probably cost more than a used one on ebay.

You only got 6 years out of the 864?

I thought Roland was one of the most reliable companies ever!

Of course, was that 6 years of "la-de-da" use or did you record constantly?
Mine has 7 Years, and still kicking *ss ;-)
McDEATH

Post by McDEATH »

jk22 wrote: 20:23, 1 May 2008 Been looking for a cheap $100-$200 used digital multitrack and love the br600's ability to load custom drum samples into the onboard drum machine. Except, its a little more than I can afford right now.

Then I came across the Br864 which seems to be almost identical for my needs, except it uses the track buttons as pads instead of the velocity-sensitive pads on the br600.

I'm assuming these "pad buttons" are not velocity sensitive, and I was wondering if I could play the drum sounds from an external midi controller that IS velocity sensitive, and have the varying velocities recorded?

I've seen some Br864's for around $150 on ebay and would be perfect for my needs of recording my own compositions with synths, guitars, and bass, and being able to sample some realistic sounded drums without spending a fortune on an extra sampler.

Does anyone know if this can be done w/ an external midi controller?

Thanks in advance
Heyhoo

Yes its a old thread, but here some Info!

The BR-Rhythem Editor for WINDOWS (800 er) works for he BR-864!!!
With all features.

But inside the BR-864 when you program your own pattern, you can manage the velocity with "Fader 1" !
Go into "STEP" Mode with the Arrow Keys (before Enter REC) and go inside the Grid Mask, with the
Arrow Keys move to a Drum Sound, now you are able to select a velocity with "Fader 1"!
That bring up more dynamic to your Drum Arrangment!

The BR-864 is a fine Maschine, today evermore.
With the Tone Load Function you are able to load at all 13 Sec. of Samples!
When a Snare Hit is 2 Seconds you have11 Seconds more to load other samples!

The BR-1200 don't have that "Tone Load" Funktion, that means you can't Modifiy the DrumKit, thats really SAD!!!
But you can drive your Drum Mix to a Stereo Wave Mixdown AND THEN hunt it to the "Speaker Modeling" and you
can get a complete NEW SOUND out of your Drum Track.

Often i read the "Speaker Modeling" were useless, NO that is total wrong!
With this Speaker Modeling you are able to Modify your Drum Track Instandly to a complete NEW SOUND!
With Eq and little bit Reverb you get a nice Drum Track.

Cheers!