New Product Request - Combined HW DAW, PC Audio Interface/Co

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
anthony_

New Product Request - Combined HW DAW, PC Audio Interface/Co

Post by anthony_ »

I'd like to describe a product that is missing on the Roland/BOSS lineup. I would buy this product today if it were available. I'm dual-posting in the Computers and Software forum since I think they'd be interested too. Hope that's OK

Background

I'm in the process of moving from a BR-1600CD to a Macbook/Logic Studio setup. My main need for this was portability - I do a lot of business travel and I'd like to use the extensive plane/airport/hotel downtime to do mixing/fixing and other tasks. The BR-1600CD is just too big to travel with - and I'm a bit afraid I'd damage the hard drive. I also have a Micro BR that I use as a musical notepad when traveling. I've considered switching to the BR-600 to get the faders.

I've been trying to figure out if I can use the BR-1600CD as an audio interface into the Mac. The BR-1600CD has digital out, but two problems: it's stereo (does not carry the 8 separate channels) and it's digital coax, not optical. The Mac has optical input. I still have a BR-1180CD with optical out so I will try that, but I'd really like to get the 8 discrete inputs on the BR-1600CD into the Mac.

I also would like to use the BR-1600CD as a "control surface" for Logic Studio. Not looking forward to doing everything with a mouse when I've been used to faders, jog wheel, transport buttons, etc. The support here is extremely limited with MIDI messages for faders only.

Product Description

Putting these ideas together, here is my product request. It's a combined standaolone DAW, PC Audio Interface and Control Surface that's pretty portable.

-- Take the BR-1600CD and take out the hard drive and CD - replace with SD card storage ala MicroBR
-- Keep the 8 inputs, faders, transport controls, phantom power, COSM effects, mastering, etc., etc.
-- Add Firewire and USB 2.0 outputs to carry the discrete 8 channels
-- Add battery powered option
-- Add software for popular PC/Mac DAWs to support control via this new product
-- Add better software for importing recordings on SD to the PC/Mac
-- Slim the whole thing down so it's the size of a Macbook or smaller

SO what you have in one product is:

1) A standalone DAW. All by itself it can be used for mobile tracking - no PC required. All the features of BR-1600CD except the CD/HDD. Recording to SD is all that's needed for mobile tracking (must record uncompressed). Don't need big HDD or CD burner - will use PC for that. It Would also be nice to have features from Micro BR like conversion to MP3.

2) An audio interface to PC/Mac. When attached to a PC/Mac via Firewire/USB 2.0, the 8 inputs can be tracked in the software DAW. Also a "one button" feature to import songs with all V-Tracks directly into a new or existing song in the software DAW would be killer.

3) A control surface for PC/Mac. When attached, the software DAW can be fully controlled from the hardware interface (faders, jog wheel, transport buttons, mute, etc.). Oh, and please add "solo" buttons that are annoyingly missing the BR-1600CD :)

I love my BR-1600CD - it's simple, reliable and cost effective. But for now, to record on the Mac, I'll probably have to get an Apogee Duet or something to get at least two inputs into the Mac. I will eventually want at least 8 inputs, and a control surface. But the cost is so outrageous to buy something like the 828 MK3 plus a Mackie Control Universal. And of course, that combo would not be simple or portable.

So, Roland, please make this product. I imagine it would cost no more than the BR-1600CD and would blow away competition. It would have the totally unique ability to work as a standalone DAW for mobile recording - who wants to hassle with a PC on the road? It's also a great way for beginners to start recording with a standalone DAW, and have "future protection" by later adding a PC.

As I said, I'd buy it today.

thanks,
Anthony
V-CeeOh

Re: New Product Request - Combined HW DAW, PC Audio Interfac

Post by V-CeeOh »

I'm dual-posting in the Computers and Software forum since I think they'd be interested too. Hope that's OK
No it's not. Please NEVER double post on the Clan. I've locked your other thread and directed it here.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

No need to double-post, since all new posts appear in "unread posts" and it is not likely someone will ever miss one of them.
anthony_

Post by anthony_ »

V-CeeOh, got it, sorry for the poor form. Hope the rest of the post is OK.
anthony_

Post by anthony_ »

I'm back 18 months later because I just found out about the Zoom R16. Wow, pretty close to the product concept I described above. It's a solid state (silent) portable multrack, audio interface and DAW interface in one.

C'mon Roland product managers, get cracking! I still think you guys could do a better job. I cut my teeth on the BOSS BR-1200, upgraded to BR-1600 and added a MicroBR. But once I moved to a Mac/Logic setup, I don't use them anymore. What I miss however is silent recording, ease of setup/use, lots of inputs in a mobile setup, and rock-solid operation. I recently had to do a mobile-multitrack recording and I pulled out my trusty BR-1600 just because it was so easy to use in that situation. But once I was done I transferred the tracks to my Mac to do editing/mixing.

What is still missing from the Zoom R16 is better quality converters and pre-amps (and more pre-amps) and a really cool feature would be if it exported Logic projects directly. C'mon guys, I'm giving you great free ideas, just do it! I got tons more and I'm happy to share.

For now I'll probably sell my BOSS units and try out the Zoom.

Anthony