Audio versus Midi

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
Bruiser

Audio versus Midi

Post by Bruiser »

I am somewhat new to using recording software (CubaseLE with a Lexicon interface box). I've previously always done everything on my Fantom-S using the sequencer. What I am curious about is, what are the pro's and cons to working with audio versus MIDI? Anyone have any words of wisdom here? Thanks!

- Bruiser
Shambler

Re: Audio versus Midi

Post by Shambler »

You have to work with both really, because MIDI does not contain any audio information.

Midi is just messages like, Key On C3 Velocity 100 or Pitchbend 33...all midi does is record what you do on your synth keyboard/controllers, your synth doesn't make any sound through midi.
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Shambler -

Thanks. I understood that much already. What I do not have a full grasp on is what the pros and cons are to each format. With Cubase, as with most DAW software, you can work with either one at the same time. Obviously, with instruments like my electric guitar, I am stuck with the audio format. I am pretty sure that someone has written stuff on this subject. I guess I've been too lazy in searching it out. I will get off my a%@ and search the web. Please don't let that stop anybody from adding their perspective at this forum, however.

- Bruiser
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The good point about MIDI is you can edit each recorded event and modify the original patch at any given moment. The disadvantage is, should you need to sell the synth you used or if it gets broken etc., you're in trouble - dozens of your projects will render useless. The other bad point is if you need to use more than 2-3 different synths, your studio ends up "wired" quite a bit.

I prefer audio. First, I am not strained to keeping this or that synth. Second, my workspace is always clear and tidy and I can concentrate more on each given synth I work with. Last but not least, since I won't be able to change the recordings like MIDI, this makes me try as hard as I can to get it sound perfect right from the start.

Overall, works out very well.