Studio MIDI set-up causing me grief

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
Andy Keys

Studio MIDI set-up causing me grief

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi all,

We're trying to set up a small studio so that we can have the easiest access to, and control of, everything at any one time. The audio is sorted, at least, but we're struggling with the MIDI side of things.

Set up is:
MIDI sound modules:
2 with IN, OUT, THRU
1 with IN, OUT
1 with IN, THRU
1 with IN, OUT/THRU

4x Controllers:
1 weighted keyboard (no sound) (2xOUT)
1 synth keyboard (no sound) (1xOUT)
1 footcontroller pedalboard (no sound) with IN, OUT/THRU
1 desktop controller (no sound) with IN, OUT A, OUT B/THRU

PC running sequencer & soft synths.

We could do with the sound modules & controllers (except keyboards) being in (occasional) two-way communication with the PC for using with editors & librarians etc

Can anyone shed some light on it for me, please? I suspect I need some kind of MIDI merger/router/patchbay thingy.

The aim is to not have to crawl on the floorbehind things re-wiring MIDI connections when a track needs different synths etc.

Thanks in advance!
Andy
V-CeeOh

Re: Studio MIDI set-up causing me grief

Post by V-CeeOh »

Andy

With 5 sound modules, 4 keyboards and 1 PC streaming MIDI in several directions I would not even try to do it "just" with MIDI cables. Seriously, try to get a MIDI Patcher/merge box. I use a 8x8 MIDI In/Out Roland A-880 MIDI patcher. If I could get my hands on a second one I would not look back. It's great to keep your MIDI signals "clean" and you set up your INs and Outs at the touch of a button.

Roland also released the UM-880 (basically the same as the A-880 but with USB conection). Now that MIDI over USB is becoming the standard I would recommend one of these if you're lucky to find one.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I can repeat this forever: go audio as much as you can. My recordings are 100% audio tracks and I do not care how much my keyboard/module setup changes, tomorrow or in 10 years.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi Artemiy,

I knew someone was going to say that :o)

One day, maybe. For now MIDI works best for a few reasons.

Andy
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Thanks V-CeeOh,

I've managedto pick up an 8x8 MIDI patchbay.
Now I've just got to figure out the routings :o/

Cheers
Andy
Sloane

Please elaborate

Post by Sloane »

Hi Artemiy,

I have a post asking for midi configuration advice but no answers yet. I saw your post and don't quite understand how your work flow is set up with no midi. How do you sync?

I'm transitioning from a 2400CD to a new 24" iMac and Logic Pro 8 that was delivered last week. My Fantom 7 worked seamlessly with my 2400CD. But now I have my head buried in manuals trying to figure out how to get my new MAC to work with:
1.) Fantom 7
2.) vintage XP-80 & MC-50, U-220

I also bought an M-Audio Midisport 2X2 and an Apogee Duet; I didn't know I could connect my Fantom to the MAC VIA USB.

I'm hoping in addition to enlightening me how you bypass midi, you could direct me to a thread or tutorial that would help me configure my new set-up. PLEASE.

And thank you for the "For Mac OS X users: MIDI Device Images" post.

With much appreciation,

Sloane
D.U.Soul

Post by D.U.Soul »

I understand he frustrations you are having. I finally got my midi set up going through my midiman 2x2 and cubase S4.

I have done all audio in the past as I like to create the ideas on my MC909 or FX6 then record audio into cubase. The midi sync is so helpful now, less editing of the audio file on the DAW.
Midi is great then for adding using the VST instruments played via my X6.
Best of both worlds I say.

Good luck
foxfire714

Post by foxfire714 »

I agree artemiy-my whole setup takes up alot of room,but sounds absolutely huge in comparison,just the editing power im missing out on.