Audio drop-outs on Edirol FA-66

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
comradec

Audio drop-outs on Edirol FA-66

Post by comradec »

My Edirol FA-66 FireWire audio interface works absolutely fine provided my computer is not connected to the internet. When the computer is online, however, I get repeated audio drop-outs, typically three, four or five times a minute.

I realise that it's best to disconnect from the net during a recording session, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a little bit of stability from the FA-66 when I'm doing no more than playing a straightforward stereo track on Windows Media Player. And it's surely not asking too much for the interface to let me playback the audio on websites without interruption (assuming no streaming issues), which I obviously can't access without being online. These are not instances where the interface is having to compete with massive drains on my computer's system resources.

I've tried adjusting the buffer setting but it's made no difference - the drop-outs are still there. This happens in all audio programs, but the ones I use the most are Windows Media Player 11, Sony Sound Forge 9 and Ableton Live 7.

My computer has an Intel Core2 Duo E6600 processor (2.4GHz) with 4GB RAM. FireWire connectivity is provided by a Texas Instruments OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller. I use a
Belkin 802.11g wireless card to connect to the internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming this problem?