laptop recording issue!

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
Inferno Nine

laptop recording issue!

Post by Inferno Nine »

hello im recording from a fantom x6 for keyboards a line 6 x3 live for guitar bass and vocals.i'm useing sonar 8 producer edition and going out through my spdif 1/8th output to my krk rokit 5's. my issue is that when th laptop is plugged in i get this his and hum and sounds when i move my mouse around on the screen. if i unplug the laptop it is crystal clear. how do i stop this i tyied andother outlet and still get this. is there a device to stop this issue i really dont want to record for an hour or less have to charge my laptop and wait and record and hour and so on. im a record all day type of guy. thanks in advance.
jessej

Re: laptop recording issue!

Post by jessej »

Do a combined google/forum search on "ground loop" and "USB" and you will find out a lot.

It is a very common problem to get hum and static noises, but the reasons can be many, so just read up a little and you will find the answer to not only this problem, but also problems in the future of the same kind.
Inferno Nine

Post by Inferno Nine »

i put one of thoes 3 to 2 prong adapers on the laptops power cord and all is clear but i don't want to leave it that way because it can damage the computer if a jolt comes through and its not grounded. i am going to order a tone x adapter hopefully it does the same as what i did only safely.
Inferno Nine

Post by Inferno Nine »