Mastering and EQ-ing - Help needed please -

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
KRE8A

Mastering and EQ-ing - Help needed please -

Post by KRE8A »

JUNO-G Synth Keyboard W/S-

What are the correct methods for Mastering and EQ-ing?

Hii ; ,

When i have finished a track in performance song mode {midi channels} and did the final mastering with head phones on and got it sounding to my perfection, when i switch the reference monitors on to hear the play back and the clarity of the piece, it sounds very muddy. I have my studio set up in my bed room which is a confined area and i am not sure whether it's the ambience of the room or the monitors. The existing monitors which i own are a pair of KRK Rockit 5's and a Yamaha MG8/2fx 8 channel mixing console. All my mastering is mastered within the internal wave generator of the Juno G. I use the mixing console to adjust the frequency W/F to bring out the high's and low's of my music. That is when it sounds fair through the monitors and also when i reduce the dynamic levels of compression for rhythm, but this should not be the case, as from my knowledge, because i should not have to touch either compression or mixing console, after mastering. Also just to add, the sound waveforms are going to change all over again when i record into Audio for final mixdown. " Very Confusing ". Please, which way do i go about this topic?
da-man

Re: Mastering and EQ-ing - Help needed please -

Post by da-man »

their is no magic button.

I eq with a mixer almost every track as it is converted to a wav onto the computer. I find this gives me more control over eq.
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

I noticed you said you master with headphones. This could be causing a problem, particularly with the center of your mix. Headphones actually create what is called a "phantom center" because there is no real spatial center due to the proximity of the drivers to your ears. This phantom center is around 3 or 4 dB lower than reality which could result in your muddiness when you switch to your monitors.

When I mix or master I use a set of nearfield reference monitors and then listen to the resulting mix through a variety of speakers. These include my home stereo, a cheap boombox, my mp3 player, I've even taken the mix out to my car and listened there. From these I make judgements on the sound, levels, panning, etc. and go back and make changes. The trick is to make it sound good everywhere since the end listener could be playing it through anything, and sometimes it can be a long process.

Not really an answer to all your questions, but I hope it helps.
KRE8A

da-man and Sprokett

Post by KRE8A »

That's cool with how you put your EQu-ing together with your mixes da-man. Very much i like to bring out the different H/M/L to when i mix or jam at home with what ever is onboard. Sproketts answer is what i have been looking for, because i would later on like to do a mix down on CD, without having to EQ.

Thanking you both

KRE8A
da-man

Post by da-man »

Yes Sprockett's advice is right.

The right pan and EQ seem very important to me in bringing sounds out of a mix and without any mastering experience I try to get the Audio to sound good on any system like Sprockett does.