Compact Disc

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
KRE8A

Compact Disc

Post by KRE8A »

What is the best quality, audio ink printable brand of CD's to use, for audio mixdown.
Sprockett

Re: Compact Disc

Post by Sprockett »

If your looking for the best sounding discs, there honestly is no difference in sound quality between brand or types of CD-R. Because CD media is all digital, it is impossible for one CD-R to sound better than another when playing back the same data. Anyone who tells you they can hear a difference is fooling themselves. However, if you are looking for the best quality in writing accuracy and disc life that is a different story.

Mitsui discs are commonly known in the industry as the best, and they cost twice as much as the average media. After that, Taiyo Yuden discs (who make discs for Fuji and Maxell) are a close second and cheaper. However, not all Fuji and Maxell discs are Taiyo Yuden manufactured. If the packaging says "made in Japan" then they are Taiyo Yuden, but if it says "made in Taiwan" then they're not.

I've never used the Mitsui discs, I think they are now called MAM-A, so I can only say a lot of people respect them and they are supposed to have a 300 year rated lifespan for their top-tier product. I do use Taiyo Yudens exclusively, both Fuji and Maxell. I've never had one let me down, and have only burned a coaster when I've been trying to do something beyond spec.

Just stay away from Imation discs, they have the highest failure rate on record of any brand name blank discs.

Hope this helps you, I rambled on quite a bit there :)
KRE8A

Your rambling is very specific....

Post by KRE8A »

I'm going to give Taiyo Yuden a trial because i've been noted by T/SUP also that Taiyo Yuden is the best way to go. He did also mention made in Japan, which is good. I would like the music which i have constructed through an old software program, to play in all of and not just some of the old hi-fi's and so forth, for an idea to make sure it's all good for when i get going with all my other projects at a later date. At the moment, it's a test for me to find out whether i am going about the right way.

Thanks Sprockett
Sprockett

Re: Compact Disc

Post by Sprockett »

No problem, always willing to share any info I have.

One more thing I thought of when you mentioned compatibility: some CD players don't like discs that were burned at high speeds. I seem to get best results on my Sony disc writer with 8x or 16x for audio discs, where I occasionally get problem discs if I burn them at say 48x. However, not all players will have trouble and not all burners will make problem discs at high speeds. A friend of mine has a top of the line Plextor burner and he writes CD audio discs at something like 52x speed with no trouble. You really have to experiment with your burner to see what gets the best results.

But at least blank media is cheap now.