FA-66 MIDI problem

Multitrack recorders, controllers, and other studio equipment
comradec

FA-66 MIDI problem

Post by comradec »

I'm trying to use an Alesis Micron synth as a MIDI control keyboard for Ableton Live 8, playing it via the MIDI input socket on my Edirol FA-66 FireWire audio interface.

Frequently, like every time I try, I find that a note triggered from the keyboard will stick for ages and the VST instrument I'm using no longer responds properly to the notes I'm playing on the keyboard.

But this doesn't happen when I'm using a dedicated MIDI control keyboard connected via USB, such as my M-Audio Axiom 25. Nor does it happen if I connect the Micron to the Axiom's MIDI thru with the Axiom itself connected to the computer via USB.

Use the Axiom then, some of you may say. Unfortunately, it's used in another room in my house and, as it's only got 25 keys, I find the extra 12 keys on the Micron more suited to my playing style.

What this does appear to tell me, though, is that the problem only arises when using the FA-66 to route my MIDI data. There also seems to be a higher level of latency when playing a control keyboard via the FA-66.

What might be causing this issue and how could I overcome it?

I'm using a Windows XP SP3 system.